Go Eagles!
Go Eagles!
 
Days
 
Hours
 
Mins
 
Secs

Publications

Updated April 3, 2014
 

 Official Student Publications
 School Newspaper
The first school newspaper was published on December 21, 1918, and its title was Normal College News. The paper was published every Saturday while school was in session. President Joe Cook sent a copy of the publication to Gov. Theodore G. Bilbo, whose response was, "The little thing looks puny." President Cook countered the governor's remark by reminding him that since both he and the governor were of modest stature, they should be "the last men in the world to condemn men or things because of lack of corporeal immensity." The governor relented and promised to "try to be satisfied with the infinitesimal creature."
When the school's name was changed to State Teachers College in 1924, the newspaper became Teachers College News. In 1926, Teachers College News editor Olen Brewer initiated an effort to enlarge the paper and change its name.
Brewer smoked a pipe labeled "Student Prince," and suggested that name for the paper. His suggestion was not practical, however, because of the popular contemporary play by that name. Brewer then approached two Austrian professors who were on the faculty at that time and asked about a foreign word for "prince." One of the professors supplied the word "printz."
After much discussion and debate, the name The Student Printz was presented to the student body for a vote. The new name was approved, and the first issue of the Printz was published in January 1927.
 
 Yearbook
The school's yearbook made its debut in 1914 as the Neka Camon, a Native American term meaning "The New Spirit." With the exceptions of 1918 and 1919, the Neka Camon was published annually through 1931. Publication was halted from 1932 through 1937 due in large part to the Great Depression. Publication was resumed in 1938 and has been continuous since that time. In 1940, when the school's name was changed to Mississippi Southern College, the yearbook's name was changed to The Southerner, and so it remains today.
 
 The Drawl
The student handbook was called The Drawl from approximately 1954 to 1978. There are no existing records to indicate the reason for adopting The Drawl as the handbook's name, but an inference can be drawn from the fact that the school's name included the word "Southern," and what do Southerners do if not drawl? The first student handbook was simply called Normal College Hand Book. When the school's name was changed to State Teachers College, the handbook was renamed the Handbook of State Teachers College. From 1936 to approximately 1940, the name Freshlite was used for the handbook. When the school underwent its second name change in 1940, the handbook was renamed the Handbook of Mississippi Southern College.
From about 1980-88, the handbook was simply the Student Handbook. But in 1989, it was renamed Southern Dawn and remained so until 1994 when it reverted to the Student Handbook. Over the years, the handbooks have been published by the school's chapters of the YMCA and YWCA, the Student Government Association (also known as the Associated Student Body) and the Division of Student Affairs.
The Drawl was revived in 2002 by the Alumni Association to ensure that the traditions and history of Southern Miss are passed on to all future Golden Eagles. It is distributed to all new students upon their arrival at Southern Miss.

FACEBOOK FANCRED INSTAGRAM PINTEREST TWITTER YOU TUBE