Conference USA Announces Winter Spirit of Service Honorees
Women's Basketball Celmina honored.
April 4, 2013
IRVING, Texas - Conference USA Commissioner Britton Banowsky announced the 12 student-athletes who will receive the C-USA Winter Spirit of Service awards.
The C-USA Spirit of Service Award is designed to recognize the community service efforts of the league's student-athletes, based upon significant community service, good academic standing and participation in their elected sport. The Spirit of Service award is presented three times throughout the season, with these honorees representing Conference USA's winter sports: men's and women's basketball, women's swimming and diving and men's and women's indoor track and field.
Southern Miss women's basketball senior Ance Celmina has volunteered for Habitat for Humanity, Dr. Seuss National Read Across America Week and the United Way Corporate Challenge. She has also made numerous visits to and participated in free clinics at schools, local churches, the Boys and Girls Club and the Children's Center. A starter for the Golden Eagles, Celmina finished the season averaging 6.7 points and 6.1 rebounds, while leading the team in blocked shots. She registered one of her best games in league play with career bests of 17 points and 14 boards against Rice. Celmina has been named to the Athletic Director's and C-USA Commissioner's Honor Rolls as an interdisciplinary studies major with a minor in sport coaching and psychology.
2012-13 Winter C-USA Spirit of Service Honorees
- Ariana Jackson, East Carolina, Women's Basketball
- Mikhail McLean, Houston, Men's Basketball
- Erica Woods, Marshall, Women's Basketball
- Justin Pinkston, Memphis, Men's Track & Field
- Lilian Nwora, Rice, Women's Track & Field
- Alisha Filmore, SMU, Women's Basketball
- Ance Celmina, Southern Miss, Women's Basketball
- Allie Evans, Tulane, Women's Swimming & Diving
- Taleya Mayberry, Tulsa, Women's Basketball
- Amber Jones, UAB, Women's Basketball
- Kayli Keough, UCF, Women's Basketball
- Konner Tucker, UTEP, Men's Basketball