Men's Tennis Hit The 20-Win Mark on Senior Day
HATTIESBURG, Miss. – Rakshit Rishi’s third set on court 6 decided the 4-3 win for the Southern Miss men’s tennis team on Senior Day, Saturday.
The Golden Eagles prevented a strong come back from the Blazers after Jorman Reyes’s win on court 5 forced Rishi to clinch the match on 6 to improve to 20-4 on the season.
Southern Miss took the early 1-0 advantage after seniors Chao-Yu Huang and Rishi’s doubles partners won the point.
The Golden Eagles lost the first two singles matches on courts 1 and 3 after Wen-Po Tseng fell to Tim Dollam, 6-2, 6-3 to give Dollman his 10th win of the season. Huang would lose his last home match of the season to Stefan Gonzalez 6-1, 6-4.
Teeradon Totrakul tied that match at 2 after a 6-3, 6-1 win on court 4. Totrakul has won his last three matches in straight sets.
With the Golden Eagles’ loss on court 2, the Blazers had the chance to clinch on 5 where Reyes forced Kenton Parton to three sets. Reyes is now 5 for 5 when playing in the final set and improves to 22-1 on the season. Saturday’s win matched his career-high 11-match win streak he set earlier this season.
Rishi would clinch the match in the final set after his 6-4, 6-7, 6-4 win. Rishi has won his last 4-5 matches.
The Golden Eagles have won their last 10 matches heading into postseason play.
1. Daniel Merker/Jorman Reyes (USM) vs. Tim Dollman/Stefan Gonzalez (UAB) 5-4, unfinished
2. Wen-Po Tseng/Chao-Yu Huang (USM) def. Eric Komati/Anru Fourie (UAB) 6-2
3. Rakshit Rishi/Teeradon Tortrakul (USM) def. Kenton Parton/Marlon Goering (UAB) 6-3
1. Tim Dollman (UAB) def. Wen-Po Tseng (USM) 6-2, 6-3
2. Eric Komati (UAB) def. Daniel Merker (USM) 6-2, 7-6
3. Stefan Gonzalez (UAB) def. Chao-Yu Huang (USM) 6-1, 6-4
4. Teeradon Tortrakul (USM) def. Anru Fourie (UAB) 6-3, 6-1
5. Jorman Reyes (USM) def. Kenton Parton (UAB) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
6. Rakshit Rishi (USM) def. Tom El Safadi (UAB) 6-4, 6-7, 6-4