Saturday's Win Gives Men's Tennis Coach A New Record
HATTIESBURG, Miss. -- The Golden Eagles blanked Nicholls State 7-0, their 17th win and most for any single-season in Engineer's four-year stint in Hattiesburg.
The Golden Eagles 7-0 win against Nicholls State was the 10th sweep and the 10th home win of the season. Southern Miss has won eight of their last 10 doubles points, including Saturday's match where courts two and three easily secured the point.
Rakshit Rishi and Teeradon Totrakul defeated Leo Santos and Cornelius Schramm 6-0 on court 3. Wen-Po Tseng and Chao-Yu Huang were right behind them in a 6-1 win, their 13th win at No. 2.
Southern Miss went 6-0 in singles play with all but one court winning in straight sets. Sophomore, Jorman Reyes, won his match in quick fashion, which has been a common them for the underclassmen this season. A 6-1, 6-0 win against Leo Santos pushes Reyes to 19 wins and one loss this season.
All three seniors, Huang, Rishi and Tseng defeated their opponents in straight sets. Saturday's win is only the sixth time this season the three seniors have all won their matches.
Engineer improves his record to 17-4, besting last year's record of 16-8. In his four seasons, Engineer is now 60-32.
"The 17-4 season success belongs to the team," Engineer said. "They show up to every match ready to play and win asa team. They are all determined to make it happen. I'm very proud with the overall improvement of the team and the way they compete with focus, effort and discipline."
1. Daniel Merker/Jorman Reyes (USM) vs. Sam Meessen/Bernard Wezeman (NICM) 3-2, unfinished
2. Wen-Po Tseng/Chao-Yu Huang (USM) def. Max Sinn/Oleksander Podgursky (NICM) 6-1
3. Rakshit Rishi/Teeradon Tortrakul (USM) def. Leo Santos/Cornelius Schramm (NICM) 6-0
1. Wen-Po Tseng (USM) def. Sam Meessen (NICM) 7-6, 6-0
2. Daniel Merker (USM) def. Bernard Wezeman (NICM) 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
3. Teeradon Tortrakul (USM) def. Max Sinn (NICM) 6-2, 6-3
4. Chao-Yu Huang (USM) def. Oleksander Podgursky (NICM) 6-1, 7-5
5. Jorman Reyes (USM) def. Leo Santos (NICM) 6-1, 6-0
6. Rakshit Rishi (USM) def. Cornelius Schramm (NICM) 6-4, 6-2