C-USA Championship Game Preview
Nov. 29, 2011
Southern Miss IMG Sports Network
John Cox, 34th season, play-by-play
Vic Purvis, 38th season, analyst
Bo Morgan, sideline coordinator, 2nd season
Joe Bryant, spotter/statistician, 4th season
Mike Patrick, play-by-play
Craig James, color analyst
Lisa Salters, sidelines
Notes Heading into the C-USA Championship Game
- After a week hiatus, the Golden Eagles returned to the BCS Rankings at No. 24, as well as the two national polls - No. 23 in the USA Today Coaches' Poll and No. 24 by the Associated Press.
- Senior QB Austin Davis needs 77 yards to eclipse the school-record for single-season passing. He holds the current mark of 3,128 in which he set when he was a freshman in 2008.
- The defense now has seven interception returns for touchdowns, which is a school record (previous best - 5 in 1992), and also is tied at the top of the FBS with Louisiana-Lafayette. The total is also tied for an FBS record with Tennessee, who set that mark in 1971.
- With Kendrick Presley's 100-yard interception return for a touchdown, he became the 22nd different Southern Miss player to score a touchdown and 25th player to accumulate points during the season.
- Southern Miss held Memphis to seven yards rushing on 22 carries in the win. It was the second fewest rushing yards allowed under Larry Fedora (4 yards, SMU on 11/29/08). The 181 total yards is the third-lowest allowed under Fedora.
The Houston Series
- The Golden Eagles are 8-5 all-time against Houston, but look to snap a three-game losing streak at Robertson Stadium this week. (see pages five of the notes for the breakdown of the series)
- Southern Miss captured last year's contest 59-41 as it was the most points ever scored by a winning team in a somewhat offensive series.
- The two teams have combined for 58.8 per game over the 13 games in the series, with the winning team scoring at least 30 points nine times.
- In the Golden Eagles' last meeting in Houston, USM dropped a 50-43 decision on Oct. 31, 2009. QB Martevious Young hit Gerald Baptiste for two of his three TD catches in the final quarter to tie the score at 43, but Case Keenum connected with Patrick Edwards for a 28-yard scoring strike with 28 seconds remaining to lift the Cougars to the victory. The game saw 1,358 yards of total offense (USM - 608, UH- 750).
- Two of the games have been decided in overtime with each team winning once.
Golden Eagles Set to Play Florida State Wednesday in Walk-On's Independence Bowl
Allen Fails Jr., Talks about his trip to Shreveport for the Walk-On's Independence Bowl
Christmas Day Quiet for Southern Miss Football
Golden Eagles spend time in the Shreveport Community on the day before Christmas
Football Arrives in Shreveport for Walk-On's Independence Bowl
Five Bowl Game Memories: 1988 Independence Bowl
Five Bowl Game Memories: 2008 New Orleans Bowl
Five Bowl Game Memories: 2000 GMAC Bowl
2018 Southern Miss Football Recruiting Class