Game Preview: Southern Miss vs. Memphis
Game time is slated for 3:30 p.m. CT.
Nov. 21, 2012
Eagles Secure East Title With 44-7 Win
Austin Davis passed for 277 yards and two scores, and ran for another as Southern Mississippi breezed past Memphis 44-7 Saturday.
Southern Miss IMG Sports Network
John Cox, 35th season, play-by-play
Vic Purvis, 39th season, analyst
Bo Morgan, sideline coordinator, 3rd season
Joe Bryant, spotter/statistician, 5th season
Matt Stewart, play-by-play
Chuck Oliver, analysis
Rachel Baribeau, sidelines
Follow LIVE via:
Noting the Golden Eagles
- Despite scoring a season-high 33 points, the Golden Eagles dropped their first one-point game of the season and the first contest decided by a single tally since defeating UCF 30-29 in Hattiesburg on Nov. 12, 2011.
- The Golden Eagles registered a season-best 532 yards against UTEP.
- Quarterback Arsenio Favor threw a season-best 374 yards, notching the first 300-yard throwing game since Austin Davis notched 364 passing yards against UCF last season (11/12/11). The passing performance was the fifth-highest output of yardage in school history.
- Senior wide receiver Quentin Pierce enjoyed his best game of the campaign, catching two passes for 125 yards, including an 81-yard scoring play late in the contest. It was Pierce's third career 100-yard receiving game and, with his first catch of the day for 44 yards, he went over the 1,000-yard mark for his career. Pierce has tallied 1,100 yards receiving on 89 career catches.
- Senior defensive lineman Jamie Collins has reached a fifth-place tie on the school's single-season charts for both sacks (10.0) and tackles for loss (20.0). He ranks tied for fourth nationally in sacks and tied for No. 12 in TFLs.
- The Golden Eagles finished winless at home for the first time since going 0-4 at M.M. Roberts Stadium in 1977.
- Southern Miss looks to avert its first winless season since 1925, when that team compiled a 0-6 mark.
- The Golden Eagles will end their season for the first time in the regular season since 2001, snapping a string of 10-straight seasons reaching a bowl game.
The Memphis Series
- Southern Miss and Memphis renew the Golden Eagles' oldest football rivalry as they meet for the 63rd time this weekend in the Black and Blue Bowl.
- Southern Miss leads the series 40-21-1, including three consecutive victories over the Tigers. The Golden Eagles are 18-16 in games played in Memphis.
- This will be the second-straight season the two teams have ended the regular season.
- Former Memphis head coach Tommy West, who led their program from 2001-09 and posted a 49-61 record which includes five bowl appearances, now serves as USM's defensive coordinator.