Game Preview - Southern Miss vs. UAB
Nov. 14, 2011
Southern Miss IMG Sports Network
John Cox, 34th season, play-by-play
Vic Purvis, 38th season, analyst
Bo Morgan, sideline coordinator, 2nd season
Joe Bryant, spotter/statistician, 4th season
Todd Harris, play-by-play
Doug Chapman, color analyst
Notes Heading into the UAB Game
- The Golden Eagles are off to their best start since the 1962 UPiCollege Division National Championship team which finished that season with the same 9-1 record. The Golden Eagles are on the cusp of reaching just its third 10-win season in their history if they can capture one of their two final regular season games either at UAB this Thursday or at home the final weekend against Memphis. Ten wins is the school record at Southern Miss and was accomplished in both 1952 and 1988.
- Junior RB Bruce Johnson and freshman WR Chris Briggs each scored their first career touchdown against UCF, giving the Golden Eagles a school-record for different players that have scored a touchdown in a season with 21. With offensive lineman Lamar Holmes scoring on a two-point conversion lateral against the Knights, Southern Miss now has had 24 different players score points this season.
- Southern Miss has equaled its longest winning streak under Fedora at eight games, in which his 2008 team won their final five contests and the 2009 squad won the first three.
- The UCF victory was the first one-point win for USM since a 13-12 decision at Louisiana Tech (9/25) last season.
- USM limited UCF to 48 yards rushing, holding an opponent under 100 yards on the ground for the fifth time this season. Southern Miss is 5-0 this season when they have done that and 20-1 under Larry Fedora.
- Southern Miss has scored at least 30 points five times this season and has reached that plateau 23 times under Fedora.
The UAB Series
- This will be the 12th meeting between Southern Miss and UAB with the Golden Eagles holding a 9-2 advantage. (for the series breakdown go to page 5 of the notes)
- After winning the first nine games in the series, the Blazers have captured the last two, including a 50-49 double overtime win in Hattiesburg in 2010. It will be the second-straight time that USM will play at UAB on a Thursday night.
- Seven of the 11 games in this series have been decided by seven points or less with the Golden Eagles holding a 6-1 record in those games.
- Two of the games have gone into overtime including the first and last time the two teams have met. USM won the first meeting back in 2000, 33-30, at Legion Field while the Blazers won last year's meeting at The Rock.
Delmond Landry continuing to build defensive line role
FROM THE BROADCAST BOOTH WITH JOHN COX
Arvin Fletcher looking forward to redshirt-sophomore season after promising start
Southern Miss Announces 2018 Football Season Ticket Renewal Benefits
Southern Miss announces 2018 Eagle Fest weekend slate
From the Broadcast Booth with John Cox - “Big Nasty” and Curley Return
Golden Eagles wrap up second week of spring practice
Free Youth Football Clinic part of Eagle Fest Weekend
Chris Boone named Southern Miss defensive line coach