Game Preview - Southern Miss vs. UCF
Nov. 11, 2011
Southern Miss IMG Sports Network
John Cox, 34th season, play-by-play
Vic Purvis, 38th season, analyst
Bo Morgan, sideline coordinator, 2nd season
Joe Bryant, spotter/statistician, 4th season
James Bates, play-by-play
Rich Rodriguez, color analyst
Brooke Collins, sidelines
Notes Heading into the UCF Game
- Southern Miss captured its seventh straight victory and jumped out into first place alone in the Conference USA East Division standings. The 8-1 start is the best start for the program since the 1996 team opened 9-1.
- The program moved up three spots in the latest BCS rankings to No. 22, while also moving up a spot to No. 23 in the USA Today Coaches' Poll and made their season debut in the Associated Press Top 25 at No. 25 this week.
- The Golden Eagles won for the 16th time in 19 meetings at East Carolina and improved their series record with the Pirates to 27-10 as Southern Miss snapped a two-game losing streak to ECU in the 48-28 victory.
- Southern Miss scored three defensive touchdowns and another on a punt return against the Pirates and Southern Miss has now scored eight non-offensive TDs (not counting kick or punt returns) this season - the most in the Fedora era.
- With its two interception returns (97 yards by Jamie Collins and 79 yards by Deron Wilson), the Golden Eagles now have five picks for touchdowns, trailing only Louisiana-Lafayette in the FBS in that category who have six.
- It was the second time this season that USM has tallied a pair of interceptions for touchdowns as Korey Williams (60 yards) and Octavius Thomas (6 yards) did it earlier this season against Southeastern Louisiana.
- Under Larry Fedora, the Golden Eagles continue to play well in November as they are now 10-2 during the fi nal month of the regular season.
- Southern Miss has scored at least 30 points in five of the last six games.
The UCF Series
- Southern Miss holds a 5-1 advantage in the UCF series and have won the last three games against the Knights (see page 5 of the notes for the complete breakdown of the series).
- The Golden Eagles upset the 25th-ranked Knights 31-21 last season in Orlando as it was the first win over a ranked opponent for USM since beating No. 9 TCU in 2003.
- The visiting Golden Eagles rallied from a 14-point defi cit in the come-from-behind victory. Austin Davis threw for four touchdowns in the contest.
- In the last meeting in Hattiesburg, Davis threw for 253 yards and Damion Fletcher ran for 103 as the Golden Eagles rode a 14-0 1st quarter lead to the victory.
Five Golden Eagles enjoy postseason showcases
Southern Miss Announces Football Signing Day Schedule
Football Releases 2018 Schedule
Football Season Ticket Pricing Announced for 2018
Southern Miss Falls to Florida State in Independence Bowl
Golden Eagles Set to Play Florida State Wednesday in Walk-On's Independence Bowl
Allen Fails Jr., Talks about his trip to Shreveport for the Walk-On's Independence Bowl
Christmas Day Quiet for Southern Miss Football
Golden Eagles spend time in the Shreveport Community on the day before Christmas