Nov. 11, 2011
Southern Miss IMG Sports Network
John Cox, 34th season, play-by-play
Vic Purvis, 38th season, analyst
Bo Morgan, sideline coordinator, 2nd season
Joe Bryant, spotter/statistician, 4th season
James Bates, play-by-play
Rich Rodriguez, color analyst
Brooke Collins, sidelines
Notes Heading into the UCF Game
- Southern Miss captured its seventh straight victory and jumped out into first place alone in the Conference USA East Division standings. The 8-1 start is the best start for the program since the 1996 team opened 9-1.
- The program moved up three spots in the latest BCS rankings to No. 22, while also moving up a spot to No. 23 in the USA Today Coaches' Poll and made their season debut in the Associated Press Top 25 at No. 25 this week.
- The Golden Eagles won for the 16th time in 19 meetings at East Carolina and improved their series record with the Pirates to 27-10 as Southern Miss snapped a two-game losing streak to ECU in the 48-28 victory.
- Southern Miss scored three defensive touchdowns and another on a punt return against the Pirates and Southern Miss has now scored eight non-offensive TDs (not counting kick or punt returns) this season - the most in the Fedora era.
- With its two interception returns (97 yards by Jamie Collins and 79 yards by Deron Wilson), the Golden Eagles now have five picks for touchdowns, trailing only Louisiana-Lafayette in the FBS in that category who have six.
- It was the second time this season that USM has tallied a pair of interceptions for touchdowns as Korey Williams (60 yards) and Octavius Thomas (6 yards) did it earlier this season against Southeastern Louisiana.
- Under Larry Fedora, the Golden Eagles continue to play well in November as they are now 10-2 during the fi nal month of the regular season.
- Southern Miss has scored at least 30 points in five of the last six games.
The UCF Series
- Southern Miss holds a 5-1 advantage in the UCF series and have won the last three games against the Knights (see page 5 of the notes for the complete breakdown of the series).
- The Golden Eagles upset the 25th-ranked Knights 31-21 last season in Orlando as it was the first win over a ranked opponent for USM since beating No. 9 TCU in 2003.
- The visiting Golden Eagles rallied from a 14-point defi cit in the come-from-behind victory. Austin Davis threw for four touchdowns in the contest.
- In the last meeting in Hattiesburg, Davis threw for 253 yards and Damion Fletcher ran for 103 as the Golden Eagles rode a 14-0 1st quarter lead to the victory.
|Follow SouthernMissFootball:||Follow @SouthernMissFB|