Nov. 9, 2012
Golden Eagles Defeat Mustangs, 27-3
The Southern Mississippi defense turned in its best performance in three years, helping the Golden Eagles to a 27-3 win over Southern Methodist in Conference USA play.
Southern Miss IMG Sports Network
John Cox, 35th season, play-by-play
Vic Purvis, 39th season, analyst
Bo Morgan, sideline coordinator, 3rd season
Joe Bryant, spotter/statistician, 5th season
Joel Meyers, play-by-play
Dave Lapham, analysis
Desmond Purnell, sidelines
Follow LIVE via:
Noting the Golden Eagles
- True freshman Jalen Richard rushed for a season-high 82 yards, including a 29-yard touchdown against UAB which was longest rushing score of the season for the school. Richard ended his day with 188 all-purpose yards as he added 106 on three kickoff returns.
- The Golden Eagles held an opponent scoreless in the first half for the first time since the regular-season finale last year against Memphis (11/24/11).
- Southern Miss tied a season-high by forcing three turnovers against the Blazers. It was the second consecutive week the Golden Eagles have forced three turnovers in a contest.
- The Golden Eagles notched their first blocked punt since last season's Sheraton Hawai'i Bowl when Jeremy Hester got a hold of one against the Blazers that went out of the end zone for a safety. It was also the first safety recorded by USM since Tulane in 2010.
- Junior Deron Wilson tallied his first interception of the season to give him eight for his career which is the most by a current Golden Eagle.
- Tracy Lampley registered two receptions against the Blazers with the second one becoming his 100th career reception. He has tabulated 1,139 receiving yards in his career.
- Southern Miss has dropped its initial nine games for the first time since 1976 and will finish under .500 for the first time in its C-USA history which dates back to inaugural season in 1996.
The SMU Series
- This will be the fourth meeting between the two schools since the inception of the series in 2007 and Southern Miss leads the series 3-0.
- The Golden Eagles travel to SMU for the last time as C-USA foes this weekend. USM won the only other meeting there, 28-12, in 2008. SMU, along with Houston, Memphis and UCF, will join the Big East next season. The Golden Eagles will meet each school with the exception of Houston in those school's final season in C-USA.
- Southern Miss has scored at least 27 points in each of the three meetings with the Mustangs.
- In last year's game, the Golden Eagles held the Mustangs to just three points in a 27-3 triumph in Hattiesburg.
|Follow SouthernMissFootball:||Follow @SouthernMissFB|