Game Preview: Southern Miss vs. UAB
Nov. 2, 2012
No. 20 Southern Miss Falls to Blazers on Thursday
Ty Long kicked a 38-yard field goal with 3:04 left to lift UAB to a 34-31 upset of No. 22 Southern Mississippi on Thursday night.
Southern Miss IMG Sports Network
John Cox, 35th season, play-by-play
Vic Purvis, 39th season, analyst
Bo Morgan, sideline coordinator, 3rd season
Joe Bryant, spotter/statistician, 5th season
Mike Morgan, play-by-play
Chuck Oliver, analysis
Rachel Baribeau, sidelines
Follow LIVE via:
- The Golden Eagles started their FBS-leading fourth different quarterback last Saturday against Rice. Five other FBS schools, Colorado State, Kentucky, Minnesota, Tulane and Utah have started three different quarterbacks this season.
- Arsenio Favor, the person to get the call under center against the Owls, threw for the most yards of any Golden Eagle quarterback in a game this season with 180 in his first career start.
- Junior Deron Wilson moved into second place on the school's pass defended charts by recording his 32nd PBU, moving ahead of Patrick Surtain (1994-97). Greg Brooks (2000-03) leads that category for the Golden Eagles in a career with 47.
- For the second consecutive week, sophomore Corey Acosta has made a field goal of at least 50 yards. He tallied a 50-yard attempt against Rice for the team's first points in the opening quarter. He is 7-of-12 on field goals this season.
- Senior defensive end Jamie Collins tallied his third double-digit tackle performance with 12 stops (nine solos) to go along with one sack for 13 yards and two TFLs for a total of 17 yards. He also forced his first fumble of the season.
- The Golden Eagles registered a season-best three fumble recoveries in the contest.
- The Golden Eagles have posted a 130-48 (.730) home record since the start of the 1976, when the stadium was named M.M. Roberts Stadium following renovations to the stadium that took almost two years to complete.
The UAB Series
- Southern Miss and UAB have met 12 times on the gridiron, dating back to the 2000 season. The Golden Eagles won the first nine games in the series, but UAB has captured the last three games.
- Eight of the 12 games in the series have been decided by seven or fewer points including the last two contests.
- Two of the games have been decided in overtime with each team winning once in those affairs.
- The Golden Eagles are 4-1 in games played in Hattiesburg against the Blazers.
- The winning team in this game has scored at least 30 points in the last five meetings and six of the last seven contests between the two schools.
- There has only been one shutout in the series, a 3-0 USM victory on Sept., 29, 2001.