Game Preview: Southern Miss vs. Rice
Oct. 26, 2012
Golden Eagles Roll Past Rice, 48-24
Austin Davis threw for 284 yards and three touchdowns, Kendrick Hardy rushed for 172 yards and Southern Mississippi scored four unanswered touchdowns in the second half to turn a tight game into a 48-24 victory over Rice on Saturday night.
Southern Miss IMG Sports Network
John Cox, 35th season, play-by-play
Vic Purvis, 39th season, analyst
Bo Morgan, sideline coordinator, 3rd season
Joe Bryant, spotter/statistician, 5th season
Dave Raymond, play-by-play
ND Kalu, analysis
Leila Rahimi, sidelines
Noting the Golden Eagles
- Southern Miss dropped its second homecoming game in the last three years when they fell to Marshall 59-24 last Saturday. The Golden Eagles are now 56-20 in its homecoming games.
- The loss for the Golden Eagles to Marshall ended a school-record string of 18 winning seasons (1994-2011), dating back to the 1994 campaign. Southern Miss had been to bowl games in 10 straight seasons and 14 of the last 15.
- Golden Eagle placekicker Corey Acosta nailed a career-long 51-yard field goal against Marshall, marking the first 50-plus yard field goal made for Southern Miss since Danny Hrapmann converted a 54-yard kick against UAB on Oct. 30, 2010.
- Senior defensive back Deron Wilson recorded four pass breakups against the Herd. He now has six on the season and 31 for his career, tying Patrick Surtain (1994-97) for secondplace on Southern Miss' all-time list. Reed also added a season-high six tackles in the contest.
- Senior Peter Boehme enjoyed a solid night punting for the Golden Eagles as he averaged 46.0 (43.9 net) per punt for seven boots against the Herd with a long of 56 yards with two inside the 20 yardline.
- Redshirt sophomore Arsenio Favor saw his first action at quarterback late in the contest, since coming in for Austin Davis against Memphis last season (Nov. 24). Favor, who missed much of spring practice and some of the fall with a knee injury, tallied his first career rushing touchdown in the contest, scoring from 12 yards out.
The Rice Series
- Southern Miss travels to Rice this weekend as the two schools meet for the fourth time in football, dating back to 2007.
- The Golden Eagles trail in the series 2-1, including a 45-40 loss in Houston on Oct. 19, 2008, in the team's only other meeting there.
- Austin Davis threw for a school-record 461 yards and added four touchdown passes in that 2008 contest, all to DeAndre Brown - another school record for receiving scores - to go along with 221 yards.
- The Golden Eagles won last year's meeting in Hattiesburg, 48-24. Southern Miss scored three third-quarter touchdowns to pull away in that contest. There were three fumble recoveries for scores in the contest - two for Rice and a 75-yard return for Marquese Wheaton for Southern Miss.