Oct. 19, 2012
Huntington, W. Va.
Golden Eagles Fall 26-20 in Conference Opener to Marshall
Southern Miss loses 14-point halftime lead, falling 26-20 at Marshall in both teams conference opener.
Southern Miss IMG Sports Network
John Cox, 35th season, play-by-play
Vic Purvis, 39th season, analyst
Bo Morgan, sideline coordinator, 3rd season
Joe Bryant, spotter/statistician, 5th season
Dave Ryan, play-by-play
Steve Beuerlein, analysis
Evan Washburn, sidelines
Noting the Golden Eagles
- The Golden Eagles scored a season-high 31 points at UCF before losing in double overtime to the Knights. It was Southern Miss' first loss to UCF in Orlando in four meetings.
- Southern Miss got a solid outing from freshman quarterback Anthony Alford who threw for 165 yards and rushed for 71 more to go along with a pair of rushing touchdowns. It was the second start of the year for the true freshman.
- Sophomore defensive back Emmanuel Johnson tallied a team-best 10 tackles, which also established a personal career high.
- Junior wide receiver Francisco Llanos caught season-bests of 63 yards on four catches.
- Senior defensive lineman Jamie Collins added two more sacks for 14 yards to increase his team lead to five on the season.
The Marshall Series
- This will be the eighth meeting between the two schools with the Golden Eagles holding a 5-2 advantage in the series.
- The Golden Eagles are 2-1 against The Herd in Hattiesburg.
- Four of the seven meetings have been decided by seven or fewer points with each team winning twice in those contests.
- Southern Miss lost last year's meeting 26-20 in Huntington. The Golden Eagles turned the ball over six times in the contest to drop the team's C-USA opener. It was one of just two losses in the Eagles' 12-2 season a year ago.
- Southern Miss has scored at least 20 points in all seven games and have averaged 31.0 points per contest in the series.
- The Golden Eagles are 56-19 all-time in homecoming contests. Southern Miss has won 10 of its last 11 homecoming games.
- Southern Miss has scored at least 28 points in 13 of the last 15 homecoming games, and at least 40 points nine times during that stretch.
- This is the first time Southern Miss has faced Marshall for its homecoming game.
- This year's homecoming queen is Claire Dulaney from Saint Cloud, Fla., and this year's theme is "Let the Good Times Soar."
- The Golden Eagles will wear throwback uniforms for the game - circa 1970.
|Follow SouthernMissFootball:||Follow @SouthernMissFB|