Game Preview: Southern Miss vs. UCF
Oct. 12, 2012
No. 25 Southern Miss Survives UCF, 30-29
Danny Hrapmann kicked five field goals and No. 25 Southern Miss narrowly avoided an upset with a 30-29 win over Central Florida on Saturday night.
Southern Miss IMG Sports Network
John Cox, 35th season, play-by-play
Vic Purvis, 39th season, analyst
Bo Morgan, sideline coordinator, 3rd season
Joe Bryant, spotter/statistician, 5th season
James Bates, play-by-play
Aaron Taylor, analysis
Lauren Gardner, sidelines
Noting the Golden Eagles
- Through the first five games, Southern Miss has faced three nationally ranked opponents and the school's first five foes have amassed a 20-7 record, as four of the five schools have notched at least four victories. Louisville is the only unbeaten team still undefeated with a 5-0 mark heading into this week's schedule.
- The final seven contests will come against Conference USA opponents, after Southern Miss finished the non-conference portion of the schedule last Saturday against Boise State.
- The Golden Eagles tallied a season-high 424 yards of total offense against Boise State, while also notching a season-high for passing yards with 243.
- Ricky Lloyd (143 yards) and Anthony Alford (100 yards) each threw for at least 100 yards in the contest, marking the first time since Nov. 20, 2004, against TCU that two Golden Eagle quarterback have thrown for at least 100 yards in the same game. Dustin Almond (116) and Jeremy Young (138) were the two quarterbacks in the 2004 contest against the Horned Frogs.
- After not forcing a turnover in the first three games, the Golden Eagles have forced one in each of the last three contests, including Dylan Reda's first career interception against the Broncos.
- The Golden Eagles make their first trip to the state of Florida since playing Louisville in the 2010 Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl in St. Petersburg.
The UCF Series
- Southern Miss travels to Orlando to face UCF for the final time as a member of Conference USA. In a series that dates back to 2005, the Golden Eagles are 6-1 all-time against the Knights and are 3-0 in Orlando.
- The Golden Eagles have won four-straight games in the series, including a 30-29 nailbiter in Hattiesburg last season.
- Southern Miss has scored at least 26 points in each of the last three games against the Knights.
- The last time Southern Miss played in Orlando, the Golden Eagles knocked the Knights out of the Top 25, who had just entered the poll that week, with a 31-21 decision on Nov. 13, 2010.
- In the 2008 contest at Bright House Networks Stadium, Southern Miss, without the services of the school's all-time leading rusher, Damion Fletcher, held the football for 41:56, keeping the UCF offense off the field for most of the contest as the Golden Eagles tallied a 17-6 victory on Nov. 8.