"It's Great to Be a Golden Eagle" Campaign Features New Things for 2014 Football Season
HATTIEBURG, Miss. - As Southern Miss embarks on its 2014-15 athletic year, the department of athletics reminds fans that "It's Great to Be a Golden Eagle" with new fan engagements that begin for the 2014 football season.
These new enhancements in Golden Eagle athletics include:
- For the first home football game all freshmen students are encouraged to participate in leading the Eagle Walk.
- For the Sept. 27 game against Rice, it will be Ray Guy Day as he will be honored at halftime on becoming the first and only punter ever elected into the Pro Football Hall of Fall. The first 10,000 fans will receive a free commemorative poster of Guy, courtesy of BancorpSouth.
- A new game day app has launched (Southern Miss GameDay App) that includes free audio, real-time Instagram and Twitter feeds, official game-day guide with key times, events and need-to-know information including stadium maps and parking to plan the day; enhanced location-aware maps for fans attending both home and away games; live C-USA and Top 25 scores. The site can be uploaded through Apple iTunes and Google Play stores.
- A new mobile site for an improved smartphone experience - m.southernmiss.com/index-mobile.html.
- A new and improved Junior Eagle Funland that will now start three hours prior to game time and include twice as many inflatables, music, drinks, a chance to meet Seymour and visit with some of the other Southern Miss sport teams.
- A postgame fireworks show following the Alcorn State game.
- An updated pregame entrance for football team which will include twice as much smoke as in previous years as well as on the field fireworks when the teams runs out for select games.
- A new Southern Miss Tailgate Show with host Terra Reeves that will feature all of the best tailgaters, recipes, food, setup, a view of the Eagle Walk, interviews with fans, and will be featured after each home football game. This show will highlight all of the best that Southern Miss tailgating has to offer.
- A game highlight package will be released every Sunday afternoon following each home game, featuring the biggest plays from the previous game including commentary from the game.
- There will be new concession items for sale including jumbo soft pretzels, fried chicken sandwiches, Dippin' Dots and snowballs.
- Southern Miss TV host Terra Reeves also will serve as the on-field microphone person to assist with select promotions, allowing for more fan interaction and engagement.
- Ten new in-game fan engagement videos, contents, promotions, and graphics to enhance the game day atmosphere including highlighting fan social media posts, a video segment featuring your football. players, a segment showcasing our great fans, pictures highlighting our awesome tailgating atmosphere, featuring great wins from the past, on the field trivia, an Eagle Club membership spotlight. Also, which is sure to become a crowd favorite, a segment that will involve karaoke with the coaches.
- The WUSM Tailgate Concert Series returns for its fourth year with free pregame entertainment starting an hour, 45 minutes prior to kickoff. One of the featured artists will be former Golden Eagle basketball player Jarekus Singleton, who will perform on Nov. 8, prior to the homecoming game.
- The fan favorite t-shirt cannon will return to action this year and will be used twice during each game allowing fans an opportunity to catch a free Southern Miss t-shirt.