Notes: Southern Miss vs. Florida State
Southern Miss Postgame Notes
2017 Walk-On’s Independence Bowl
Dec. 27, 2017
* Today’s Attendance – 33,601.
* Florida State won the toss and deferred until the second half. Southern Miss will receive and defend the north goal.
* The Golden Eagles finished the season 8-5. It was the second time in the last three years that they finished with at least eight victories and the 22nd time in school history they tallied at least that many victories in its 101-year history.
* Southern Miss fell to 11-14 in bowl games, losing for only the second time in eight games in the state of Louisiana.
* The program is now 2-1 in the Independence Bowl, having captured the 1980
event with a 16-14 victory over McNeese State and grabbing a 38-18 triumph
over UTEP in 1988.
* The Golden Eagles played a game in North Louisiana for the third time this season – the first time they have done that in their history. They finished the year at 2-1, having defeated ULM 28-17 in Monroe (9/16) and Louisiana Tech 34-27 in double overtime (10/21).
* Today’s game is 32 days following the regular season finale at Marshall (11/25), marking the longest span between games in a season since a 38-day spread between the 2006 C-USA Championship game (12/1) and the team’s bowl game that season at the GMAC Bowl (1/7/07) in Mobile, Ala.
* With his 15 victories, coach Jay Hopson tied for the most victories by a Southern Miss coach over his first two seasons with Curley Hallman, who tallied that many in 1988-89.
* Kwadra Griggs scored from 5-yards out on the Golden Eagles’ first drive of the contest. It was his third rushing touchdown of the season.
* Ito Smith ended the day with 92 rushing yards and finished the regular season with 1,415, which was the fourth best total in a season at the school. He also finished his storied collegiate career with 4,538 rushing yards.
* In addition, Smith completed his final game with 190 all-purpose yards, getting at least 100 in 28 in his final 31 games. As the school’s all-time leader in all-purpose yards, Smith collected 6,534.
* Allenzae Staggers finished his Golden Eagle career 2-of-4 passing when he
hit quarterback Kwadra Griggs for his first career reception of 18 yards.
Staggers ended his career 65 passing yards.
* Korey Robertson, who caught a pass for his 26th consecutive game, registered his 12th touchdown reception of the season, putting him tied for third on the school’s single-season TD reception total. He also collected 76 catches and 1,106 receiving yards which rank No. 2 and No. 5 on the school single-season chart, respectively.
* It was the fourth-straight game and seventh time overall the Golden Eagles did not allow a sack in a game in 2017.
* The 2.0 tackles for loss were the fewest of the season for the Golden
* Tarvarius Moore finished his Golden Eagle tenure with a career-high 14 tackles in the contest.
Special Team Notes
* Parker Shuanfield missed only his second extra point of his career on the Golden Eagles’ first score of the game and now is 104-for-106 in his career. He had converted the first 89 extra-point attempts to start his career, which is a school record.