Post Game Notes
Dec. 3, 2011
- Today's captains were Alan Howze, Cordarro Law, Lamar Holes and Terrance Pope.
- The victory over No. 6 Houston marked the second straight year Southern Miss has beaten a ranked opponent.
- It was also the first time Southern Miss defeated a ranked team while also ranked since a Sept. 16, 2000 victory over Alabama in Birmingham, Ala., 21-0.
- The Golden Eagles won their 5th conference championship and first since 2003.
- The last time the Golden Eagles appeared on ABC, they defeated Nebraska 21-17 in Lincoln, Neb., on Sept. 11, 2004.
- With a six yard catch in the first quarter, Kelvin Bolden reached 100 receptions in his Southern Miss career. The catch converted a third down inside Houston territory.
- Ryan Balentine converted a third down on the same drive for a 14 yard touchdown to put the Golden Eagles up 7-0. It was his eighth touchdown reception of the season.
- The drive lasted 59 seconds and was the 16th scoring drive of two minutes or less this season.
- Sophomore center Jonathan Guerry got the most extensive playing time of his career after starter Austin Quattrochi was knocked out of play early in the first quarter.
- Dominique Sullivan converted a 2nd and 15 into a 69-yard touchdown reception. It was his longest career catch and second touchdown of the season and career.
- It was the fifth pass play of 50 or more yards this season.
- Austin Davis finished the day 17-of-33 for 279 yards, 4 touchdowns and 1 interception. He also broke his own single-season passing mark, set in 2008, with 3,331 yards on the year. The 4 touchdowns were the second-most touchdowns thrown in a single game.
- Desmond Johnson converted a third down from the 17 yard line with a touchdown run to put the Golden Eagles up 35-21. It was his second rushing touchdown of the year.
Tracey Lampley Notes
- Lampley pulled in a 16 yard touchdown reception in the second quarter to put the Golden Eagles up 14-0. It was his second touchdown catch of the season.
- Lampley added a season-high rush of 28 yards in the third quarter.
- In the third, Lampley added a 61 yard touchdown reception - his first career game to have multiple touchdown receptions.
- He surpassed the 200-yard all-purpose yardage mark for the second consecutive game.
- The Golden Eagles held Houston scoreless in the first quarter. The defense has now held six opponents scoreless in the first quarter this season.
- Cordarro Law added 2.5 tackles for loss on the day. He now has 49.0 on his career, passing Cedric Scott for fifth all-time. He also got a 19 yard sack on fourth down in the fourth quarter.
- Jamie Collins also added 2.0 tackles for loss on the day including a 17 yard sack to begin the second quarter. He now has a team-leading 19.5 tackles for loss.
- The Golden Eagles surrendered just their second play of 50 yards on more on Justin Johnson's 50 yard reception in the second quarter.
- Deron Wilson intercepted Case Keenum's 1st down pass from the one yard line to halt a Houston drive. It was his fourth pick of the season.
- Ronnie Thornton got a fourth-quarter pick-six to give the Golden Eagles their 8th pick-six of the season, setting a new NCAA Division 1 record. It was the fourth game this season in which the Golden Eagles have recorded a pair of pick-sixes and the 12th non-offensive touchdown of the season.
- Southern Miss held Houston to 428 total yards, their lowest total of the season. The previous low was 449 yards against Louisiana Tech on Sept. 17.
Special Team Notes
- Danny Hrapmann missed just his second field goal of 40 yards or less in the first quarter. He is now 5-7 on attempts between 30-39 yards this season.
- Furious Bradley blocked a punt and then scooped it up for the score in the third quarter to put Southern Miss up 28-14. It was the team's 11th non-offensive touchdown of the season and second blocked punt returned for a touchdown.
- The Golden Eagles have non-offensive touchdowns in six of the last nine games.
Southern Miss recognizes student-athletes at annual Talon Awards
Father-Daughter Duo Featured as Second Season Ticket Holder Profile
Young Alumnus is Advocate for Season Tickets
Falcons take Ito Smith in fourth round
Tarvarius Moore selected in third round by 49ers
Southern Miss Highlights Season Ticket Holders as Part of the Family
Gold defeats Black in spring game, 20-15
Football commences final week of spring practice
Southern Miss concludes third week of spring football with scrimmage