Dec. 3, 2011
- Today's captains were Alan Howze, Cordarro Law, Lamar Holes and Terrance Pope.
- The victory over No. 6 Houston marked the second straight year Southern Miss has beaten a ranked opponent.
- It was also the first time Southern Miss defeated a ranked team while also ranked since a Sept. 16, 2000 victory over Alabama in Birmingham, Ala., 21-0.
- The Golden Eagles won their 5th conference championship and first since 2003.
- The last time the Golden Eagles appeared on ABC, they defeated Nebraska 21-17 in Lincoln, Neb., on Sept. 11, 2004.
- With a six yard catch in the first quarter, Kelvin Bolden reached 100 receptions in his Southern Miss career. The catch converted a third down inside Houston territory.
- Ryan Balentine converted a third down on the same drive for a 14 yard touchdown to put the Golden Eagles up 7-0. It was his eighth touchdown reception of the season.
- The drive lasted 59 seconds and was the 16th scoring drive of two minutes or less this season.
- Sophomore center Jonathan Guerry got the most extensive playing time of his career after starter Austin Quattrochi was knocked out of play early in the first quarter.
- Dominique Sullivan converted a 2nd and 15 into a 69-yard touchdown reception. It was his longest career catch and second touchdown of the season and career.
- It was the fifth pass play of 50 or more yards this season.
- Austin Davis finished the day 17-of-33 for 279 yards, 4 touchdowns and 1 interception. He also broke his own single-season passing mark, set in 2008, with 3,331 yards on the year. The 4 touchdowns were the second-most touchdowns thrown in a single game.
- Desmond Johnson converted a third down from the 17 yard line with a touchdown run to put the Golden Eagles up 35-21. It was his second rushing touchdown of the year.
Tracey Lampley Notes
- Lampley pulled in a 16 yard touchdown reception in the second quarter to put the Golden Eagles up 14-0. It was his second touchdown catch of the season.
- Lampley added a season-high rush of 28 yards in the third quarter.
- In the third, Lampley added a 61 yard touchdown reception - his first career game to have multiple touchdown receptions.
- He surpassed the 200-yard all-purpose yardage mark for the second consecutive game.
- The Golden Eagles held Houston scoreless in the first quarter. The defense has now held six opponents scoreless in the first quarter this season.
- Cordarro Law added 2.5 tackles for loss on the day. He now has 49.0 on his career, passing Cedric Scott for fifth all-time. He also got a 19 yard sack on fourth down in the fourth quarter.
- Jamie Collins also added 2.0 tackles for loss on the day including a 17 yard sack to begin the second quarter. He now has a team-leading 19.5 tackles for loss.
- The Golden Eagles surrendered just their second play of 50 yards on more on Justin Johnson's 50 yard reception in the second quarter.
- Deron Wilson intercepted Case Keenum's 1st down pass from the one yard line to halt a Houston drive. It was his fourth pick of the season.
- Ronnie Thornton got a fourth-quarter pick-six to give the Golden Eagles their 8th pick-six of the season, setting a new NCAA Division 1 record. It was the fourth game this season in which the Golden Eagles have recorded a pair of pick-sixes and the 12th non-offensive touchdown of the season.
- Southern Miss held Houston to 428 total yards, their lowest total of the season. The previous low was 449 yards against Louisiana Tech on Sept. 17.
Special Team Notes
- Danny Hrapmann missed just his second field goal of 40 yards or less in the first quarter. He is now 5-7 on attempts between 30-39 yards this season.
- Furious Bradley blocked a punt and then scooped it up for the score in the third quarter to put Southern Miss up 28-14. It was the team's 11th non-offensive touchdown of the season and second blocked punt returned for a touchdown.
- The Golden Eagles have non-offensive touchdowns in six of the last nine games.
|Follow SouthernMissFootball:||Follow @SouthernMissFB|