Post Game Notes
Southern Miss 62, UAB 27
Nov. 30, 2013
Southern Miss wins toss; Will receive
- Southern Miss snapped the nation's longest losing streak (23 games) with a 62-27 victory on the road against UAB. The Golden Eagles scored 62 points in the game, the most scored by the Golden Eagles since USM scored 63 points against Navy on the road in Annapolis, Md. (W, 63-35).
- In the third quarter, QB Nick Mullens topped the 300-yard passing plateau, marking the second time in his young career to eclipse 300-yards passing. Mullens, who was the first true freshman to throw for 300 yards, is the second freshman - true or redshirt - to throw for two 300-yard games. Austin Davis (2008-11) had two 300-yard passing performances as a redshirt freshman, including the Southern Miss school record 461 yards.
- QB Nick Mullens finished the game with 370 yards passing and five touchdowns - both career highs. Mullens' previous career high in passing yards was 323 at Marshall (Nov. 2) and his previous high for touchdowns in a game was three against Middle Tennessee (Nov. 23).
- QB Nick Mullens threw for a career-high five TDS, marking the first game by a Southern Miss QB with four or more TD passes since Austin Davis (2008-11) had four TD passes against Houston in the 2011 C-USA Championship game on Dec. 3, 2011. It ties for second most in a game by a USM QB.
- QB Nick Mullens tied Dustin Almond (vs. UCF, 2005) and Lee Roberts (vs. Louisiana-Lafayette, 1998) for the most TD passes in a game in Southern Miss history with five.
- QB Nick Mullens hits WR Tyre'oune Holmes for a touchdown on the opening drive of the game - the first time since FIU (Oct. 5, 2013) the Golden Eagles have scored on their opening possession. The scoring drive was the first time this season that Southern Miss took the opening kick and drove down the field for a touchdown.
- WR Tyre'oune Holmes caught a touchdown pass on the opening drive of the game. The three-yard reception was his second career touchdown and his second touchdown in as many games. Holmes had a touchdown reception against Middle Tennessee (Nov. 23).
- WR James Cox caught a 47-yard pass from QB Nick Mullens, setting up a Corey Acosta field goal. The reception was the longest of the season for Cox.
- DL Dasman McCallum recovered a fumble in the second quarter against UAB. The fumble recovery was McCallum's fourth of the season; tied with Kevis Coley (2005), Willie B. Moore (1983) and George Tillman (1982) for second most in a season.
- K Corey Acosta's 25-yard field goal in the second quarter was the junior's second field goal of the game, marking the fifth time this season he has had multiple FGs made in a game. Acosta had two FGs made against Texas State, Nebraska, Marshall and Louisiana Tech.
- DB Kalan Reed recorded an interception in the second quarter against UAB, marking his first interception of the season and the second of the sophomore's career. His first collegiate interception came during Homecoming against Marshall on Oct. 20, 2012.
- QB Nick Mullens' 43-yard TD strike to WR Dominique Sullivan gave the true freshman his second TD pass of the game. Mullens has TD passes in five of his six starts with multiple TD passes in three separate games. Mullens had multiple TD passes against Middle Tennessee (3), UAB (3) and East Carolina (2 - did not start).
- In the third quarter, DL Dylan Bradley recovered a fumble that was forced by LB Dylan Reda. It was the first fumble recovery for Bradley and first forced fumble for Reda. DB DeBarriaus Miller forced a fumble on the next UAB drive which was recovered by LB Ta'Dren Kennedy - his first of the season.
- Five turnovers forced in a game is a season-high total for the Golden Eagles. Prior to the game with UAB, Southern Miss forced four turnovers against North Texas during homecoming on Oct. 26.
- QB Nick Mullens punched in a 1-yard TD run for his second rushing touchdown of the season. RB Kendrick Hardy added a 3-yard rushing TD in the fourth quarter. For Hardy, it was his first rushing TD since Oct. 1, 2011 against Rice. It is the first time in 2013 that the Golden Eagles had multiple rushing scores in a game. Last time Southern Miss had multiple rushing touchdowns was Nov. 17, 2012 against UTEP. Hardy had a second rushing TD in the fourth quarter, giving Southern Miss a season-high three rushing TDs.
- DL Will Freeman blocked a FG attempt by UAB in the third quarter - his first blocked kick of the season.
- Southern Miss' 28 points in the third quarter against UAB was the most in a quarter and the most in a game this season.
- WR Marquise Ricard posted a 43-yard punt return on his first collegiate punt return.
- DB Kalan Reed forced and recovered his first fumble of the season.
Parker Shaunfield Named to InTouch Credit Union Conference USA All-Academic Football Team
Football Holds Off Marshall in Regular-Season Finale
Football Finishes Regular Season Saturday at Marshall
Southern Miss Football Gives Back on This Thanksgiving Holiday
Scoring Points Have Been the Trademark of the Golden Eagles over the Last Two Weeks
Kelsey Douglas receives C-USA Defensive Player of the Week honor
Southern Miss Football Coach Jay Hopson Holds Weekly News Conference (Nov. 20)
Final 2017 Football Golden Eagle Hotline Returns Tonight at Georgia Blue
Southern Miss Defeats Charlotte 66-21 on Senior Day