Post Game Notes
Memphis 42, Southerm Miss 24
Nov. 24, 2012
- Team captains for today's game were seniors Jamie Collins and Peter Boehme. Both Collins and Boehme were voted captains for the 2012 season by their teammates.
- Attendance for the game was 21,305.
- With the loss, Memphis snapped a three-game losing streak to the Golden Eagles. Southern Miss is now 18-17 in games in Memphis. The game also ends a 63-game series for the foreseeable future as Memphis is set to leave for the Big East in 2013.
- It was the final game for 18 Golden Eagle seniors. The class finishes with a 27-25 record.
- Southern Miss finished winless for the first time since 1925.
- Senior Darius Barnes, a Memphis native, started his first game at right guard - his 2011 position - this season after playing right tackle most of the year.
- Sophomore receiver Chris Briggs caught a 35-yard pass in the final seconds of the second quarter, a new career long.
- Freshman Jalen Richard caught his first career touchdown pass, a 16-yard completion from Arsenio Favor.
- Freshman quarterback Anthony Alford connected with senior Quentin Pierce for a nine-yard touchdown pass. It was Alford's first career touchdown pass and Pierce's second of the season. Alford later added his second TD pass in the fourth quarter.
- Freshmen Tyre Bracken and Justin Burdette both caught career longs in the fourth quarter. Bracken caught a pair of 26-yarders, including a touchdown catch, while Burdette snagged a 27-yarder to convert a first down.
- Junior linebacker Dylan Reda forced his first career fumble and junior Alan Howze recovered his second career fumble.
- Junior cornerback Deron Wilson broke up a pass in the first quarter to give him 34 for his career. He is second on the all-time charts at Southern Miss, trailing Greg Brooks (2000-03) who had 47.
- Reda added a second fumble forced in the third quarter.
Special Teams Notes
- Corey Acosta hit a 49-yard field goal and is 6-of-9 from 40-plus yards and has hit his last four from those distances.
- Redshirt freshman David Bertucci, a safety who sees time on special teams, joined his brother, Chris Bertucci, a linebacker for Memphis, on the field for Senior Day prior to the game. The two Bertuccis were on the field at the same time, for the first time, during the second half kickoff.
- Senior punter Peter Boehme dropped his 21st career punt inside the 20 yard line.
Football picks up 28-17 road win over ULM
Southern Miss Notes vs. ULM
Football has First Road Test This Saturday at ULM
Southern Miss Announces Athletics Community Ticket Program
Staggers Looking for Stellar Senior Campaign at Wide Receiver for the Golden Eagles
Offensive Line Shines Against Southern
Football Coach Jay Hopson Holds Weekly News Conference (Sept. 11)
Golden Eagle Hotline Returns Tonight at Georgia Blue
Southern Miss Shuts Out Southern 45-0 Saturday at The Rock