Nov. 19, 2005
Hattiesburg, Miss. - * Today's game was the 56th meeting between Southern Miss and Memphis. Southern Miss is now 36-19-1 with a loss, which also snaps a 13 game winning streak against Memphis in Hattiesburg. The Golden Eagles are now 18-2 against the Tigers in Hattiesburg.
* With a 40-yard field goal in the first quarter, Darren McCaleb sets school record for most field goals in a season with 18, breaking the previous high of 17 set by Steve Clark (1982), which McCaleb tied last week against Houston with a 41-yard field goal.
* McCaleb's field goal gave him 233 points in his career and with his extra point in the fourth quarter, he then tied the school's all-time scoring record of 234, set by Sammy Winder in his career from 1978-81.
* McCaleb saw his streak of 35-consecutive made extra-points snapped tonight, dating back to the New Orleans Bowl, as Memphis blocked one in the third quarter. It was the first blocked extra-point since California's Cary Dove blocked one on Dec. 4, 2004. McCaleb was 31-of-31 in extra-point attempts this season.
* Dustin Almond finished the night completing 21-of-39 passes for 283 yards and two touchdowns and two interceptions. With his two touchdowns, he now has 61 touchdowns responsible for in his career, setting the school record, breaking Jeff Kelly's total of 60 in his career from 1998-200. His 283 passing yards was the fourth best performance in school history. It was also Almond's 16th multiple touchdown game of his career, and he now has 14 touchdown passes in the past six games. Almond now has 20 touchdowns on the season.
* Josh Barnes scored a 30-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter tonight, giving him five on the season, which ties Antwon Courington for the team lead. Barnes has scored three touchdowns in the past two games, and five touchdowns in the past five games.
* With Brandon Sumrall's interception on the final play of the first half, Southern Miss has had an interception in 13-of-14 games. The team its 13 consecutive game streak snapped against Houston. Sumrall now has a team-high four interceptions on the season.
* Freshman Joe Singleton scored his first career touchdown tonight, on a 15-yard touchdown reception in the fourth quarter.
* Cody Hull scored his second career touchdown tonight, on a four-yard run. Hull led the team with 11 carries for 49 yards tonight.
* Senior Pedi Causey caught a 25-yard pass tonight, and has now caught a pass in three straight games.
* Freshman wide receiver Ed Morgan posted the first catch of his career tonight, on a 15-yard reception from Dustin Almond in the third quarter.
* Senior John Eubanks posted over 100 yards in kickoff returns for the seventh time in his career tonight, finishing with five returns for 147 yards. It was the third best performance of his career, bettered only by his 158 yard performance against Houston in 2004 and 152 yard performance against Cincinnati in 2003.
* Brandon Sumrall caught his first career pass tonight, as the team converted on a fourth down play in the third quarter.
|Follow SouthernMissFootball:||Follow @SouthernMissFB|