Southern Miss-UTEP Postgame Notes
Nov. 17, 2007
Southern Miss at UTEP Nov. 17, 2007 Sun Bowl/El Paso, Texas (Attendance - 28,592)
* Southern Miss made its third trip to El Paso and first since the 1954 Sun Bowl. The Golden Eagles are now 2-1 against the Miners.
* The Golden Eagles are 6-0 this season when they have led at the half.
* Southern Miss won for the first time this season when giving up more than 24 points in a game. The Golden Eagles were 0-5 previously when giving up more than 24 points. Coming into the game, the Golden Eagles led C-USA in scoring defense at 24.3 points per game.
* With 568 yards of total offense, Southern Miss went over 500 yards for the first time since they earned 550 against UL-Lafayette, November 1, 2003.
* Sophomore Damion Fletcher recorded his career-best rushing game with 211 yards, surpassing his previous best of 177 against NC State (9/16/06). It also marked the first time that a Golden Eagle rusher went for over 200 yards since Derrick Nix tallied 201 yards against Illinois (9/7/02).
* Fletcher recorded his 12th, 13th and 14th rushing touchdowns of the season, and now is tied for third on the Golden Eagle single-season career chart for rushing scores with Sam Dejarnette. That rushing score also moved him into the No. 11 spot by himself for career rushing TDs with 25. It was his seventh multi-TD rushing game of his career.
* Fletcher moved from No. 8 to No. 5 on the Southern Miss career rushing yards list at Southern Miss with his 211-yards against UTEP. He surpassed Shelton Gandy (2,504/1985-88), Bubba Phillips (2,527/1947-50) and Bucky McElroy (2,560/1951-53). He reached this feat in his 24th career game.
* Fletcher went over 100 yards for the 14th time in his career, tying Derrick Nix for the second-most 100-yard games at Southern Miss, trailing only Ben Garry who had 17 in his career.
* Fletcher rushed for over 100 yards in the first half for the second time in his career, tallying a first-half best 123 yards. He added 122 yards in the opening half against Tennessee-Martin (9/1) in this year's season opener.
* Gerald Baptiste recorded his first career touchdown on the first play of the second half on his longest career reception of 53 yards.
* Senior quarterback Jeremy Young has now thrown at least one touchdown in all seven games that he has thrown a pass this season. Young tallied his fifth career multi-TD throwing night and also moved ahead of Billy Jarrell (1952-53) and Jeff Bower (1973-75) on the career TD passing list at the school and now is in sixth place.
* Young also threw for over 200 yards for the third time this season and career with 205 passing yards
* Southern Miss rushed for over 200 yards for the fourth time this season with 363 yards on the ground.
* The Golden Eagles improved to 28-0 since 2001 when they score at least 30 points in a contest.