Post Game Notes
Southern Miss 30, UCF 29
Nov. 12, 2011
- Tonight's captains were defensive back Alex Smith, defensive lineman Cordarro Law, offensive lineman Lamar Holmes and defensive lineman Terrance Pope.
- Attendance for tonight's game was 32,925.
- Southern Miss is 9-1 for the first time since 1962 when they won the UPI College Division National Championship.
- The Golden Eagles improve to 6-1 against UCF.
- Southern Miss is now 11-2 in November under head coach Larry Fedora.
- Kelvin Bolden's 60-yard reception in the first quarter was the longest of his career.
- Bruce Johnson one-yard touchdown reception was his first career touchdown catch.
- Senior quarterback Austin Davis was 26-of-48 for 364 yards and two touchdowns. It is his third 300-yard game of the season and eighth of his career.
- Davis' 364 yards give him 9,907 for his career, passing Rice's Chase Clement for ninth-place all-time in Conference USA.
- Davis now has 20 touchdowns on the year and 73 for his career, passing Tulane's Patrick Ramsey for 10th-place all-time in C-USA.
- Davis' 48 attempts gives him 1,398 for his career to pass Houston's Jason McKinley for sixth-place all-time in C-USA.
- Peter Boehme connected with Emmanuel Johnson on a 28-yard fake punt. It was Johnson's first career reception.
- Tracy Lampley had 97 all-purpose yards, giving him, 3,095 all-purpose yard mark.
- Ryan Balentine caught six passes for 122 yards. It is his third 100-yard game of the season and his career.
- Chris Briggs caught four passes for a career-high 67 yards and a touchdown.
- Briggs' 34-yard reception in the fourth quarter was the longest of his career.
- Jeremy Snowden recorded his first sack of the year.
- Jamie Collins recorded a sack in the third quarter. He has 4.5 on the year and nine for his career.
- Trey Becton-Martin forced his first fumble of his career.
- Martez Thompson recovered his first career fumble.
- Furious Bradley forced and recovered his first career fumble in the fourth quarter.
- The Golden Eagles have now forced turnovers in 44 of 49 games during the Fedora era and have two or more in 34 contests. The team is 28-16 when forcing at least one turnover and 25-9 when recording multiple takeaways.
Special Teams Notes
- Danny Hrapmann connected on field goals of 28, 22, 44, 48 and 48 yards, giving him 48 on his career to tie Tulane's Brad Palazzo for 11th-place on C-USA's all-time list.
- Hrapmann's five field goals tie his own school record, set last year against East Carolina.
- Hrapmann's five field goal attempts give him 63 for his career, tying Rex Banks for second-place on the school's all-time list.
- Hrapmann's 16 points give him 255 career points, tying Palazzo for 12th-place all-time in points scored by kicking.
- Lampley had three punt returns, giving him 68 for his career, tying Memphis' Darron White and Cincinnati's Tinker Keck for sixth-place all-time in C-USA.
UCF Game Notes
- UCF's record dropped to 4-6 on the year and 2-4 in Conference USA. BCS No. 22 Southern Miss (No. 25 AP, No. 23 USA Today) improved to 9-1 overall and 5-1 in league play.
- UCF received the opening kickoff for the ninth time in 10 games this year.
- Thanks to Latavius Murray's 69-yard kickoff return for a touchdown in the fourth quarter, UCF has now returned a kickoff for a TD in each of the last five seasons.
- UCF finished with a 32:38-27:22 lead in time of possession.
- Southern Miss was held to 3-for-14 on third-down conversions, good for just 21.4 percent.
- Redshirt freshman quarterback Blake Bortles saw his most action of the season, and completed the night 24-for-34 with 248 yards and two touchdowns.
- With UCF trailing 30-23 and the Knights taking over 2:47 left in the final quarter, Bortles completed his first seven passes of the drive before having to throw his eighth pass out of bounds. He finished that drive 9-for-10 as he hit redshirt freshman J.J. Worton on a 25-yard touchdown with no time remaining to make it 30-29, however UCF's two-point conversion was unsuccessful as USM held on for the win.
- Worton had a career-high 11 receptions for 114 yards.
- Latavius Murray serves as an upback on kickoff returns, and in the fourth quarter Southern Miss tried to stay away from returners Josh Robinson and Rannell Hall by kicking it short. Murray promptly took the kickoff 69 yards for his first-career kickoff return for a touchdown.
- Murray's touchdown was UCF's first kickoff return for six points since Quincy McDuffie accomplished the feat at Tulane Nov. 20, 2010.
- Hall ended up with five kickoff returns for 138 yards.
- Running back Ronnie Weaver, a senior team captain, recorded his first-career touchdown reception which helped give UCF a 23-22 lead with 8:24 left in the fourth quarter.
- UCF opened the game in the nickel page as redshirt junior defensive back Lyle Dankenbring made his first-career start.
- True freshman Leilon Willingham, who started UCF's first three games of the year at outside linebacker, saw time Saturday as a defensive end in the second half.
- Sophomore defensive tackle Victor Gray broke up four passes.
- True freshman cornerback Brandon Alexander collected a career-high 11 tackles.
- Senior middle linebacker Josh Linam amassed a personal-best 3.0 tackles for loss.
- Senior Nick Cattoi booted a 48-yard field goal to cap off UCF's first drive of the game. It was two yards shy of his career-long which was set at Southern Miss Sept. 12, 2009.
- Cattoi finished a perfect night by going 3-for-3 in field goals and 2-for-2 in extra-points. Cattoi's career-high in field goals made was four Oct. 3, 2009, against Memphis.
Coach Jay Hopson Media Conference (Oct. 16)
Golden Eagle Hotline Radio Show with Jay Hopson Airs Tonight from Georgia Blue
Football Shuts Out UTEP 24-0 for Homecoming
Football Returns Home to Face UTEP for Homecoming
Line Depth Providing Spark for Golden Eagle Defense
Friday Football Luncheon Returns to Mugshots this Week
Keon Howard Comes Up Big in First Victory as Golden Eagle Starting Quarterback
Several promotions, ticket specials on hand for Saturday's Homecoming
Ito Smith Named C-USA Offensive Player of the Week