Notes: Southern Miss vs. Tennessee
Southern Miss Postgame Notes
Southern Miss at Tennessee
Nov. 4, 2017
* Southern Miss wins toss and deferred to the second half. The Golden Eagles kicked off and defended the north goal.
* The Golden Eagles were limited to their fewest points since being shutout in the 2014 season opener at Mississippi State (8/30).
* The Golden Eagles were charged with a season-high 14 penalties for 120 yards, their most since having 16 for 135 against Troy in 2016. Tennessee had all three of its penalties in the fourth quarter.
* Korey Robertson caught a career-long 70-yard pass in the second quarter, which setup the first points for the Golden Eagles in the contest. It also marked the longest pass play surrendered by the Volunteers who started the day No. 1 in pass defense.
* Robertson ended the night with eight catches for 122 yards, his third game over the century mark this season. He had career-highs of nine catches for 127 yards two weeks prior at Louisiana Tech.
* With his 20 carries in the game, Ito Smith moved into a tie for third on the Golden Eagle career chart with 736 carries, moving ahead of Ben Garry (723/1974-77) and matching Sammy Winder (1978-81).
* Southern Miss was held to its fewest yards (279) since recording 242 last season at LSU (10/15).
* Southern Miss allowed just 210 yards of offense, its best-such showing in a road game since holding UCF to 208 in 2008.
* Jacques Turner had a team-high 1 ½ sacks, giving him four on the year (most on the squad).
* Tennessee recorded just 14 first downs, the third time in four games the Golden Eagles have allowed 15 or fewer.
* The Vols had 115 yards through the air, the third-fewest Southern Miss has given up this season. It’s the sixth time that an opponent had less than 200 for the game.
Special Team Notes
* Parker Shaunfield collected a 27-yard field goal midway through the second quarter, making his ninth attempt in a row dating back to the UTSA contest.
* Zac Everett tallied his second 60-plus yard punt of the season with a 60-yarder early in the third quarter. His career long is 62 yards against Southern (9/9).