Post Game Notes
Nov. 3, 2012
- Tonight's captains were running back Desmond Johnson, linebacker Jamie Collins and linebacker Brandon Francesconi.
- Southern Miss won the toss and deferred.
- Today's attendance was 22,874.
- Southern Miss is now 9-4 all-time against UAB and 4-2 at home. The Blazers have won the last four meetings.
- Southern Miss is 0-9 for the first time since 1976.
- The loss drops the Golden Eagles to 0-5 in Conference USA and assures them of their first losing season in conference play in history.
- Southern Miss scored first for just the second time this year. It also scored first against East Carolina.
- Running back Jalen Richard rushed nine times for a season-high 82 yards and a touchdown.
- Richard's 35-yard rush in the first quarter was the longest of his career.
- Richard scored on a 29-yard touchdown in the second quarter. It was his fourth touchdown of the season. It also gave Southern Miss a 16-0 lead, its largest lead of the year.
- Running back Jeremy Hester rushed 10 times for a season-high 57 yards.
- Quarterback Anthony Alford was 10-of-26 for 112 yards. It is the third time this year that he has passed for at least 100 yards.
- Alford's 56-yard pass to Justin Sims was a career-long pass and reception for both.
- Alford scored on a 10-yard rush in the second quarter. It is his sixth touchdown of the year.
- Southern Miss held UAB scoreless in the first half. It is the first time holding its opponent scoreless since Memphis of last year.
- The Golden Eagles tied a season-high with three forced turnovers. They also forced three turnovers at Rice.
- It is also the first time that Southern Miss held its opponent scoreless in the last 10 quarters.
- Linebacker Alan Howze recorded a sack in the first quarter. He now has two and a half on the year.
- Howze also forced and recovered his first fumble of the year.
- Linebacker Jamie Collins recorded three sacks on the day. He has nine on the year and 20 in his career, which ties him with Terrell Paul (2000-03) for fifth all-time on the Southern Miss sack list.
- Collins also forced his second fumble of the year and the fifth of his career in the second quarter.
- Defensive lineman Michael Smith recovered his first career fumble in the second quarter.
- Defensive back Deron Wilson picked off his first pass of the season and the eighth of his career.
Special Teams Notes
- Jeremy Hester blocked a punt in the second quarter that went out of the back of the end zone. It is the first blocked punt since Tim Green against Nevada in the in the Hawaii Bowl last year.
- It is also the first safety since Tulane in 2010. The safety gave Southern Miss its first lead in regulation time since Louisville on September 29.
- Corey Acosta connected on a 41-yard field goal in the third quarter.
- Jalen Richard had three kick returns for 106 yards, including a season-long 43 yard return.
Delmond Landry continuing to build defensive line role
FROM THE BROADCAST BOOTH WITH JOHN COX
Arvin Fletcher looking forward to redshirt-sophomore season after promising start
Southern Miss Announces 2018 Football Season Ticket Renewal Benefits
Southern Miss announces 2018 Eagle Fest weekend slate
From the Broadcast Booth with John Cox - “Big Nasty” and Curley Return
Golden Eagles wrap up second week of spring practice
Free Youth Football Clinic part of Eagle Fest Weekend
Chris Boone named Southern Miss defensive line coach