Post Game Notes
Marshall 61, Southern Miss 13
Nov. 2, 2013
- At halftime, Markese Triplett had 105 yards receiving, marking the first 100-yard receiving game of the junior's career and the second 100-yard receiving game of the year for the Golden Eagles. In the first game of the season against Texas State, Rickey Bradley became the first player in the Todd Monken Era to record a 100-yard receiving game, catching seven passes for 193 yards.
- Nick Mullens connects with Markese Triplett for an 81-yard touchdown pass. It is the longest play from scrimmage for the Golden Eagles this season. Triplett's longest career reception, topping his previous long of 34 vs. FIU (Oct. 5, 2013). It was the third touchdown pass for Southern Miss of 81 or more yards against Marshall in Huntington, W.Va. (85 - Stephen Reaves to Torris Magee in 2007; 90 - Austin Davis to Francisco Llanos in 2011)
- Nick Mullens' 29-yard pass to Jalen Richard in the fourth quarter gave the true freshman over 300 yards passing on the day. The performance marked the 25th time in Southern Miss history a quarterback tossed for over 300 yards in a game and the second time this season the Golden Eagles had had a quarterback throw for over 300 yards (Allan Bridgford passed for 377 vs. Texas State on Aug. 31).
- True freshman quarterback Nick Mullens passed for 323 yards in his second career start, marking the second consecutive game with over 200 yards passing. In his two starts, Mullens has passed for 533 (266.5 yds/g).
- Dasman McCullum recovered a fumble in the second quarter - the seventh fumble recovery of the season for the Golden Eagles and the third of the year for McCullum. McCullum's third fumble recovery of the season ties him for fifth in USM's single-season history. McCullum leads the team in fumble recoveries this season.
- Emmanuel Johnson punches the ball out of Marshall's Essray Taliaferro's hand at the five-yard line and out of the back of the end zone in the second quarter. Touchback for Southern Miss and the second fumble recovery of the game for Golden Eagles.
- George Payne posted a 21-yard rush against the Thundering Herd in the second quarter. The rush was the longest of the true freshman's career, topping his previous long of 14 vs. North Texas (Oct. 26).
- Chris Briggs' 13-yard reception in the first quarter was the first of the season for the junior Franklinton, La. and the 23rd completion of Briggs' career.
- Corey Acosta made a 39-yard field goal in the second quarter, snapping a streak of six consecutive FG misses. The field goal was the third longest of the season for Acosta - 45 yards at No. 22 Nebraska; 41 yards vs. Texas State.
- Corey Acosta's second field goal of the game marks the third game this season that the junior kicker has made multiple field goals in a game this season.
- During the second quarter, it was the second time this season that Southern Miss outscored an opponent in a quarter this season. The Golden Eagles outscored FIU 7-0 in the first quarter on Oct. 5.
- Marshall scored 28 points in the first quarter - the most points allowed by Southern Miss in the first quarter this season. The previous high was 21 points at No. 22 Nebraska on Sept. 7. The 28 points allowed ties for the most points allowed in a quarter this season (Last: second quarter vs. North Texas - Oct. 26)
Football Returns Home to Face UTEP for Homecoming
Line Depth Providing Spark for Golden Eagle Defense
Friday Football Luncheon Returns to Mugshots this Week
Keon Howard Comes Up Big in First Victory as Golden Eagle Starting Quarterback
Several promotions, ticket specials on hand for Saturday's Homecoming
Ito Smith Named C-USA Offensive Player of the Week
Coach Hopson Media Conference (OCt. 9)
Golden Eagle Hotline Returns Tonight at Georgia Blue
Football Holds Off UTSA for a 31-29 C-USA Road Victory