Post Game Notes
Southern Miss 31, UTEP 13
Oct. 31, 2011
- Tonight's captains were wide receiver Kelvin Bolden, defensive back Kendrick Presley, offensive lineman Lamar Holmes and defensive lineman Deddrick Jones.
- Southern Miss is 7-1 for the first time since 1996.
- The Golden Eagles improve to 3-2 against UTEP.
- Under Head Coach Larry Fedora, Southern Miss is now 6-2 against schools from the state of Texas.
- Southern Miss improves to 2-2 in games played in the Sun Bowl.
- Southern Miss has scored at least 31 points in four of the five meetings.
- Southern Miss had 450 yards of total offense, the fourth straight game it has gone over 400 yards.
- Senior quarterback Austin Davis was 17-of-31 for 190 yards and three touchdowns.
- Davis's 17 completions give him 822 for his career, passing Memphis's Danny Wimprine for seventh all-time on the C-USA passing completions list.
- Davis connected on a one-yard touchdown to Ryan Balentine, a 47-yard touchdown to Quentin Pierce and a 15-yard touchdown to Dominique Sullivan.
- Davis now has six multi-touchdown games of the year and 24 on his career.
- Davis has 17 touchdowns on the year and 70 in his career, passing Tulane's Shaun King for 12th-place all-time in Conference USA for career touchdown passes.
- With his three touchdowns, Davis has 93 total touchdowns in his career, tying Memphis's Danny Wimprine for sixth-place in CUSA's all-time touchdowns responsible for list.
- Balentine has five touchdown receptions on the season and career.
- It was Pierce's first touchdown of his career and seventh of his career.
- Sullivan's touchdown was the first of his career.
- Jamal Woodyard rushed 16 times for a career-high 134 yards and a touchdown.
- It is Woodyard's second straight 100-yard game, and the fourth consecutive game with a 100-yard rusher.
- Woodyard's 68-yard touchdown run was the longest rush of his career.
- The first two touchdown drives lasted 0:46 and 0:11 seconds, respectively. The 0:11 second drive is the shortest scoring drive this year, and Southern Miss now has six scoring drives of less than one minute this year.
- Pierce caught two passes for a season-high 57 yards.
- UTEP's first quarter touchdown was the first, first quarter points allowed by Southern Miss in the last four games.
- Cameron O'sNeal forced his first fumble of the season and second of his career.
- Alan Howze recovered his first career fumble.
- Deron Wilson recorded his first interception of the season and fourth of his career.
- The Golden Eagles have now forced turnovers in 42 of 47 games during the Fedora era and have at two or more in 32 contests. The team is 26-16 when forcing at least one turnover and 23-9 when forcing multiple takeaways.
- Cordarro Law recorded his fifth sack of the year. He now has 23.5 on his career, passing UAB's Larry McSwain and Louisville's Marcus Jones for 13th all-time in C-USA.
- Terrance Pope and Ronnie Thornton each had a half sack.
Special Teams Notes
- Danny Hrapmann connected on a 27 yard field goal, giving him 41 on his career to tie Steve Clark for second-place on the school's all-time list.
- Hrapmann's had two field goal attempts, giving him 56 for his career, passing Houston's Dustin Bell for 15th-place all-time in Conference USA.
- Hrapmann's seven points gives him 227 career points, passing Bell for 15th-place all-time in points scored by kicking.
Golden Eagles spend time in the Shreveport Community on the day before Christmas
Football Arrives in Shreveport for Walk-On's Independence Bowl
Five Bowl Game Memories: 1988 Independence Bowl
Five Bowl Game Memories: 2008 New Orleans Bowl
Five Bowl Game Memories: 2000 GMAC Bowl
2018 Southern Miss Football Recruiting Class
Five Bowl Game Memories: 1997 Liberty Bowl
Special Bowl Edition of the Southern Miss Friday Football Luncheon Set for This Week
Five Bowl Game Memories: 2011 Sheraton Hawai'i Bowl