Notes: Southern Miss vs. UAB
Southern Miss Postgame Notes
UAB 30, Southern Miss 12
Oct. 28, 2017
• Tonight’s Attendance – 19,101
• Tonight’s Captains: 88- Isaiah Jones 7- Jomez Applewhite, 78 - and Devin Farrior.
• Southern Miss had a three-game winning streak snapped.
• The Golden Eagles lost for the second consecutive time to UAB and fell to a 10-6 advantage in the series. UAB has won six of the last seven meetings between the two teams.
• Keon Howard’s 1st quarter 84-yard touchdown strike to Ito Smith was the Golden Eagles longest pass since Nick Mullens hit Allenzae Staggers for a 93-yard touchdown in last year’s contest against Rice. It marks the second longest play from scrimmage this season.
• Ito Smith, who also collected a school-best 89-yard rush earlier this season, has the two longest offensive plays this season for the Golen Eagles.
• The opening drive touchdown toss also became the longest completion for the two players’ respective careers.
• Korey Robertson has logged a catch in 21 straight game, finishing with six catches for 65 yards.
• Freshman Tim Jones collected his longest reception of his career at 41 yards in the fourth quarter.
• Junior Kwadra Griggs came off the bench and played for the first time in the last four games, rushing for 20 yards and hitting 5-of-13 passes for 59 and an interception that was returned for a touchdown late in the contest.
• Keon Howard collected his fourth 200-yard passing game with 207 on 14-of-25 passing and a touchdown.
• Allenzae Staggers caught a season-best seven completions for 61 yards.
• The Golden Eagles collected at least eight tackles for loss for the fourth-straight game, ending the affair with eight. Jeremy Sangster led the way with 2.5. Sangster ended the game with a season-high 11 stops.
• Southern Miss also tied a season-best with 3.0 sacks against the Blazers.
• Jomez Applewhite tied his season-high for tackles with nine.
• Defensive linemen Darian Yancey and Xavier Thigpen each had a season-best eight stops.
Special Teams Notes
• Parker Shaunfield’s blocked PAT in the 1st quarter was the first miss of his Southern Miss career. He had previously made 87 straight to start his career.
• Shaunfield made field goals of 25 and 31 yards and has now converted eight-straight field goals.