Oct. 27, 2012
- Today's attendance was 14,927.
- Captains for Southern Miss were No. 5 Jerrion Johnson, No. 21 Jeremy Hester and No. 39 Peter Boehme.
- The Golden Eagles are now (2-1) all-time against Rice with a (0-2) mark in Houston.
- With the start of Arsenio Favor, the Golden Eagles became the only team in the FBS to start four different quarterbacks. Kentucky, Minnesota, Tulane, Utah and Colorado State have all started three.
- Southern Miss fell to 0-8 and 0-4 in Conference USA play.
- Southern Miss turned the ball over five times (three INTs, two fumbles) on the day, tying a season-high from the Boise State game.
- Arsenio Favor's 39-yard completion in the second quarter to Tracy Lampley was the longest of his career.
- Backup quarterback Cole Weeks saw the first action of his career in the first quarter after Favor was forced to come off due to his helmet coming off. Weeks walked onto the team last season.
- Tyre Bracken's 14-yard rush in the second quarter was a career long.
- Jeremy Hester's one-yard TD run on the next play was his first of the season.
- It capped off the second sub-2:00 minute TD drive of the season.
- Tracy Lampley finished the day with four catches and 101 yards, a season-high for a Golden Eagle receiver this season and the first 100+ yard game for a receiver this season. It was the 4th of his career.
- Favor's 33-yard scramble in the second quarter was a season-long for a quarterback.
- Favor's 146 yards of passing in the first half were the most for a QB this season.
- Every Golden Eagle possession in the first half ended on the Rice side of the field.
- Rice's Paul Porras returned an interception for a touchdown, the first time the Golden Eagles allowed that occurrence since UAB's Hiram Atwater returned a pick 40 yards in 2009.
- Cole Week's 54-yard completion to D.J. Thompson was the longest career play for both Golden Eagles.
- Senior defensive lineman Joel Ross knocked down his first career pass in the second quarter.
- Rakeem Nunez-Roches sacked and forced Taylor McHargue to fumble in the final seconds of the second quarter. It was just the second fumble recovered by the Golden Eagles this season.
- Deron Wilson broke up his 32nd career pass in the third quarter, moving into second on the all-time career charts.
- Jamie Collins sacked and forced a fumble which was recovered by Khalid Wilson in the third quarter, the first time this season the Golden Eagles recovered multiple fumbles. The Golden Eagles added a third fumble recovery in the fourth quarter.
Special Teams Notes
- Corey Acosta drilled a 50-yard field goal in the first quarter, his second 50+ yard field goal of the season after hitting a 51-yarder last week against Marshall.
- Jalen Richard returned a kickoff for 33 yards, a season-high for the freshman.
- Jamie Collins blocked an extra point attempt in the fourth quarter. It was the third blocked PAT attempt this season.
|Follow SouthernMissFootball:||Follow @SouthernMissFB|