Oct. 22, 2011
- Tonight's captains were defensive back Deron Wilson, linebacker Jeremy Snowden and defensive lineman Cordarro Law.
- Tonight's attendance was 32,685.
- The Golden Eagles improve to 3-0 against SMU.
- Under Head Coach Larry Fedora, Southern Miss is now 5-2 against schools from the state of Texas.
- By being held scoreless in the second quarter, Southern Miss snapped an 18 quarter scoring streak, dating back to the third quarter of the Louisiana Tech game.
- Senior quarterback Austin Davis connected on a 13-yard touchdown to Kelvin Bolden in the first quarter.
- Davis now has 14 touchdowns on the year and 67 in his career.
- Bolden has five touchdown receptions on the season and 11 in his career.
- Bolden caught nine passes for 81 yards and a touchdown. His nine receptions tied a season-high.
- Davis was 27-of-31 for 266 yards and one touchdown.
- His 266 yards give him 9,220 career passing yards, passing Tulane's Patrick Ramsey for 10th-place in Conference USA history.
- Davis' 27 completions give him 805 on his career, passing Tulane's Patrick Ramsey for eighth-place in Conference USA history.
- Jamal Woodyard's 55-yard touchdown run was his third touchdown of the season and his career. It was also his longest rush of his career.
- Woodyard rushed 12 times for 116 yards. It is his first career 100-yard rushing game.
- Freshman wide receiver Chris Briggs caught his first career pass, an 11-yard reception in the first quarter.
- Southern Miss held SMU scoreless in the first quarter. It was the second straight game and fourth time this year that USM held its opponents scoreless in the first quarter.
- Marquese Wheaton had two interceptions on the day. The second was a 41-yard return for a touchdown. He now has three interceptions on the year and his team-leading fifth of his career.
- Wheaton now has three non-offensive touchdowns this year. He also had a 75-yard fumble return against Rice and a 79-yard blocked field goal return at Navy.
Special Teams Notes
- Danny Hrapmann connected on field goals of 27 and 24 yards.
- Hrapmann's field goals give him 40 on his career, tying with Tulane's Ross Thevonot for 14th-place on the all-time C-USA list.
- Hrapmann's seven points gives him 218 points, passing Steve Clark (1981-83) for second-place all-time in points scored by kicking.
- Tracy Lampley's three punt returns give him 59 on his career, passing East Carolina's Terrance Cooper for eighth-place in C-USA history.
- Lampley's 22 punt return yards give him 598 career yards, passing Tulane's Lynaris Elpheage for ninth-place in C-USA.
- SMU is receiving votes in the USA Today Coaches' and AP polls, rating 29th in both. SMU also rates 25th in the Sagarin Computer Rankings.
- Captains for today: #6 Richard Crawford (CB), #91 Torlan Pittman (DT), #11 Cole Beasley (WR), #23 Chris Banjo (FS), #70 Kelvin Beachum (OT)
- The loss snaps SMU's 5-game win streak, which was its longest since 1997
- SMU is 15-5 in its last 20 Conference USA games overall
- SMU is 4-2 in its last 6 C-USA road contests.
- Zach Line's 46-yard run (4th Qtr) was his and SMU's longest run of the season. His 31-yard run (4th Qtr) was his and SMU's third-longest run of the year (Line 40-yard run at Memphis)
- SMU's first field goal (7:57 2nd QTR) capped an 11 play, 82 yard drive that took 6:15. That was the third-longest scoring drive of the season in plays (15, 12), the third-longest scoring drive this season in yards (88, 85) and second-longest scoring drive of the season for time (8:16).
Cole Beasley (WR) (Biletnikoff Award watch list)
- Had 7 receptions for 96 yards
- Has 217 career receptions, which is 3rd at SMU and tied for 9th in C-USA
- Has 2525 career receiving yards, which is 4th at SMU
Darius Johnson (WR) (Biletnikoff Award watch list)
- Has 132 career receptions, which is 11th at SMU - Has 1572 career receiving yards
Zach Line (RB) (watch lists for: Doak Walker, Maxwell Award)
- Had a season-high 163 rushing yards on 22 carries (7.4 average)
- This was his 5th 100-yard game of the season and 12th of his career (ranks 6th for career at SMU)
- Now has 2511 career rushing yards, which is 9th at SMU
- Has 180 career points, which is tied for 10th at SMU
- Has 30 career rushing TDs, which is 4th at SMU
Chris Banjo (FS) - Was second for SMU with 8 tackles (4 solo)
Kelvin Beachum (OT) (watch lists for: Outland Trophy, Rotary Lombardi Award) - Started his 46th consecutive game at SMU
Cole Beasley - See SMU Records
Richard Crawford (DB) - Had a career-high tying 3 pass breakups (vs. UTEP this season)
Ja'Gared Davis (LB) (Rotary Lombardi Award watch list)
- Had an interception, his second of the season
- Had 7 tackles, which was one short of his season high
Chase Hover (K) - Was 1-2 on FGs; he is 6-8 on the season
Darius Johnson (WR) - See SMU Records
Randall Joyner (LB)
- Had his first career forced fumble
- Had a fumble recovery, his second of the season
- Had a TFL, now has 2.0 for the season
Zach Line - See SMU Records
J.J. McDermott (QB)
- Is 5-1 as a starter at SMU
- Had 173 passing yards, snapping a streak of 3 straight 300-yard games
- Has 2013 passing yards this season, 13th at SMU
Taylor Reed (LB) (Rotary Lombardi Award watch list)
- Had a season-high tying 10 tackles
- This is his 9th career game with at least 10 tackles
Ryan Smith (SS) - Had 7 tackles, his second-highest total of the season (10 at Texas A&M)
Taylor Thompson (DE) (watch lists: Bronko Nagurski Award, Rotary Lombardi Award, Pony Express Award)
- Had 4 tackles, his second-highest total of the season
|Follow SouthernMissFootball:||Follow @SouthernMissFB|