Oct. 13, 2007
Oct. 13, 2007
Carlisle-Faulkner Field at The Rock/Hattiesburg, Miss.
(Attendance - 31,253)
* Tonight's captains for Southern Miss were No. 34 Marcus Raines, No. 66 Ryan McKee, No. 91 Robert Henderson.
* Southern Miss won its first ever meeting with the Mustangs and improved to 32-8 in home Conference USA games.
* The Golden Eagles, which played their 71st homecoming contest, improved to 53-18 in those contests, having won seven straight games when the school welcomes back their alumni.
* Damion Fletcher collected his 11th career 100-yard rushing game with 108 yards on the ground and also became the 11th Southern Miss player in its history to rush for over 2,000 yards in their career. Fletcher, who ranks tied for third with Sam Dejarnette in career 100-yard contests with 11, now ranks 10th on the Golden Eagles career rushing chart with 2,025, surpassing Dawayne Woods (1998-2001/1,928), Doyle Orange (1971-73/1,949) and Chris Buckhalter (1992-95/2,001).
* Stephen Reaves, who threw for over 200 yards for the second straight game, also notched his second touchdown pass of the year, a 28-yarder to Shawn Nelson. Reaves added the first rushing score of his career.
* The Golden Eagles forced four turnovers on the night as senior LeVance Richmond tallied his first interception of the season and fifth of his career with a pick on SMU's first possession and James Denley recorded his first pick of the year in the fourth quarter. Robert Henderson, a senior from Ponchatoula, La., tallied his first career fumble recovery in the second quarter and registered his third career forced fumble.
* The Golden Eagles got on the board in the second quarter with their longest scoring drive of the season at 98 yards. It was the second scoring drive of the year of 90-plus yards, including a 95-yard drive last week against Rice.
* Chris Johnson tallied his second rushing touchdown and third of his career with a 19-yard reverse in the second quarter.
* Junior tight end Shawn Nelson caught a touchdown pass for the fourth straight game.
* The Golden Eagles' 21 first-half points are the most for the squad this season.
|Follow SouthernMissFootball:||Follow @SouthernMissFB|