Post Game Notes
Southern Miss 63, Navy 35
Oct. 8, 2011
- Today's captains were #1 Tracey Lampley, #8 Jamie Collins, #72 Lamar Holmes and #91 Deddrick Jones.
- Former Mississippi Governor Ray Mabus was the honorary official to flip the coin.
- Today's attendance was 33,462.
- With the ball inside the one on their first offensive possession, Southern Miss elected to come out in a Heavy package, earning Logan Hickman his first career start on offense.
- Austin Davis connected with Ryan Balentine for a 77-yard completion in the first quarter. It was the longest reception of Balentine's career and the second-longest of the season for Southern Miss.
- The first offensive scoring drive was six plays covering 99 yards. It was the longest scoring drive of the season, topping the previous long of 95 at Marshall.
- Davis added a 35 yard rush in the third quarter to set a new season long.
- Jeremy Hester's 34 yard rush in the second quarter was the longest of his career and season. His previous long was 15.
- Ryan Hank's second quarter five yard touchdown reception was his first reception and touchdown of the year.
- The 35 points in the first half were the most Southern Miss has scored in a half this season.
- It was the third game in a row that Davis has thrown for at least three touchdowns and fifth multi TD game.
- Receiver Quentin Pierce connected with Collin Jarbo in the third quarter for his third career touchdown pass.
- Ryan Balentine finished the day with 4 catches for 112 yards. It was his second consecutive 100-yard game.
- Jeremy Hester rushed for 118 yards on 19 carries. It was his first career 100-yard game.
- With their 4-for-4 scoring performance today, the Golden Eagles have now scored in 17 consecutive quarters.
- Davis added a one yard touchdown rush in the fourth quarter. He now has 23 rushing touchdowns in his career trailing school record holder Reggie Collier by three (26).
- Davis finished the day going 21-of-23 with 283 yards and three touchdowns. It was his 27th career 200-yard game.
- The 63 points the Golden Eagles scored were the most on the road since a 65-6 win over Louisville on Oct. 3, 1987.
- Senior linebacker Tim Green earned his first career start today.
- Khalid Wilson picked up his first career tackle for loss in the first quarter.
- Linebacker Ronnie Thornton finished the game with 11 tackles. It was a new season high for Thornton.
- The last time a team rushed for more than 400 yards against the Golden Eagles was in 1987 by Florida State who rushed for 404. Navy finished the day with 421.
Special Teams Notes
- Khyri Thornton blocked a field goal attempt in the first quarter which was returned by Marquese Wheaton for 79 yards to paydirt. It was Wheaton's second consecutive return for a touchdown.
- It was the fourth-non offense touchdown for the Golden Eagles this year and 12th in the Fedora era.
- The last time the Golden Eagles returned a blocked field goal for a TD was against Tulane when Andre Watson returned one 77 yards on 10/24/09.
- Freshman Tray Becton-Martin recorded his first career kickoff return in the second quarter for 29 yards.
- Becton-Martin added a 57 yard return in the third quarter. He finished the day with five returns for 166 yards.
Football Returns Home to Face UTEP for Homecoming
Line Depth Providing Spark for Golden Eagle Defense
Friday Football Luncheon Returns to Mugshots this Week
Keon Howard Comes Up Big in First Victory as Golden Eagle Starting Quarterback
Several promotions, ticket specials on hand for Saturday's Homecoming
Ito Smith Named C-USA Offensive Player of the Week
Coach Hopson Media Conference (OCt. 9)
Golden Eagle Hotline Returns Tonight at Georgia Blue
Football Holds Off UTSA for a 31-29 C-USA Road Victory