Oct. 8, 2011
- Today's captains were #1 Tracey Lampley, #8 Jamie Collins, #72 Lamar Holmes and #91 Deddrick Jones.
- Former Mississippi Governor Ray Mabus was the honorary official to flip the coin.
- Today's attendance was 33,462.
- With the ball inside the one on their first offensive possession, Southern Miss elected to come out in a Heavy package, earning Logan Hickman his first career start on offense.
- Austin Davis connected with Ryan Balentine for a 77-yard completion in the first quarter. It was the longest reception of Balentine's career and the second-longest of the season for Southern Miss.
- The first offensive scoring drive was six plays covering 99 yards. It was the longest scoring drive of the season, topping the previous long of 95 at Marshall.
- Davis added a 35 yard rush in the third quarter to set a new season long.
- Jeremy Hester's 34 yard rush in the second quarter was the longest of his career and season. His previous long was 15.
- Ryan Hank's second quarter five yard touchdown reception was his first reception and touchdown of the year.
- The 35 points in the first half were the most Southern Miss has scored in a half this season.
- It was the third game in a row that Davis has thrown for at least three touchdowns and fifth multi TD game.
- Receiver Quentin Pierce connected with Collin Jarbo in the third quarter for his third career touchdown pass.
- Ryan Balentine finished the day with 4 catches for 112 yards. It was his second consecutive 100-yard game.
- Jeremy Hester rushed for 118 yards on 19 carries. It was his first career 100-yard game.
- With their 4-for-4 scoring performance today, the Golden Eagles have now scored in 17 consecutive quarters.
- Davis added a one yard touchdown rush in the fourth quarter. He now has 23 rushing touchdowns in his career trailing school record holder Reggie Collier by three (26).
- Davis finished the day going 21-of-23 with 283 yards and three touchdowns. It was his 27th career 200-yard game.
- The 63 points the Golden Eagles scored were the most on the road since a 65-6 win over Louisville on Oct. 3, 1987.
- Senior linebacker Tim Green earned his first career start today.
- Khalid Wilson picked up his first career tackle for loss in the first quarter.
- Linebacker Ronnie Thornton finished the game with 11 tackles. It was a new season high for Thornton.
- The last time a team rushed for more than 400 yards against the Golden Eagles was in 1987 by Florida State who rushed for 404. Navy finished the day with 421.
Special Teams Notes
- Khyri Thornton blocked a field goal attempt in the first quarter which was returned by Marquese Wheaton for 79 yards to paydirt. It was Wheaton's second consecutive return for a touchdown.
- It was the fourth-non offense touchdown for the Golden Eagles this year and 12th in the Fedora era.
- The last time the Golden Eagles returned a blocked field goal for a TD was against Tulane when Andre Watson returned one 77 yards on 10/24/09.
- Freshman Tray Becton-Martin recorded his first career kickoff return in the second quarter for 29 yards.
- Becton-Martin added a 57 yard return in the third quarter. He finished the day with five returns for 166 yards.
|Follow SouthernMissFootball:||Follow @SouthernMissFB|