Post Game Notes
SOUTHERN MISS FOOTBALL
at UTSA NOTES
October 8, 2016
Coin Flip: Southern Miss won the toss and took the ball to start the second half. The Golden Eagles kicked to open the game and defended the south goal.
* The team had a string of victories against schools from the state of Texas snapped at seven games.
* The loss ended a two-game overall winning streak.
* The Golden Eagles now trail the series with the Roadrunners 2-1, having dropped both games played in the Alamodome. The series dates back to the 2014 campaign. Southern Miss lost a 12-10 decision here on Nov. 13, 2014.
* Southern Miss allowed its most points since giving up 63 vs. Marshall on Nov. 8, 2014.
* The offense tallied 557 yards, the fourth-such 500-plus instance this season and 12thsince the start of 2015.
* Southern Miss scored 30 points or more for the sixth time this season and seventh in a row dating back to the Heart of Dallas Bowl.
* The 31 first downs were Southern Miss' most since having 32 in the opener at Kentucky.
* Southern Miss' scoring drives went for 10, 10, 10, 13 and 13 plays.
* Jay'Shawn Washington caught his second career touchdown pass in the second quarter to put the Golden Eagles on the board.
* Washington has two touchdowns out of his three career catches. It was his first of 2016.
* QB Nick Mullens now has thrown a touchdown pass in 22-straight games.
* Mullens registered 370 passing yards in the contest, registering his 16th career 300-yard passing games for his career. He added three touchdown throws to give him 79 for his four-year career, trailing only Austin Davis (83) in that category for career TD throws.
* Ito Smith now has an 11-game TD streak.
* Smith, who finished with 94 yards on 20 carries, moved into 10th place on the Southern Miss career rushing with 2,375 yards, moving ahead of Reggie Collier (1979-82) who tallied 2,304 on the ground in his career. A 14-yard run in the second quarter propelled Smith into the top 10 rushing at the school.
* D.J. Thompson registered a 35-yard TD reception in the second quarter to notch his four receiving score of the year and 10th of his career. He has now caught a TD pass in each of his last three games.
* Chase Whitehead scored the Golden Eagles' final touchdown of the game on a 33-yard catch. He had two catches for 20 yards entering the day and finished with three for 63 yards and that first-career score.
* Shawn Brickley had his first career reception.
* Southern Miss surrendered 28 first-quarter points, marking the most since allowing that many in the opening quarter at Marshall on Nov. 2, 2013.
* The Golden Eagles had nine TFL on the heels of recording 12 last week versus Rice.
* LaDarius Harris had a season-high six tackles, including two for loss.
* Curtis Mikell picked up his second sack of the season and his career.
Special Team Notes:
* Parker Shaunfield hit all three extra points and has now made 29 in a row as well as hitting a 28-yard field goal in the third quarter to start the year by hitting 10 consecutive field goals to start the 2016 campaign.
*D'Nerius Antoine picked up a 32-yard punt return, the team's second-longest of the year behind Allenzae Staggers' 75-yarder versus Savannah State.