Oct. 1, 2011
- Tonight's captains were defensive back Marquese Wheaton, placekicker Danny Hrapmann, defensive lineman Cordarro Law and offensive lineman Joe Duhon.
- Tonight's attendance was 28,656.
- Southern Miss is now 13-3 in Conference USA home openers.
- Under Head Coach Larry Fedora, Southern Miss is now 4-2 against schools from the state of Texas.
- The 654 total yards are a season-high.
- The Golden Eagles had 370 rushing yards and 284 passing yards. It is the first time the Golden Eagles went over 200 yards rushing and passing since Houston in 2010.
- Sophomore Kendrick Hardy's 47-yard touchdown was his second touchdown of the year and ninth of his career.
- Hardy's touchdown was also his longest rush of the year, as well as the team's longest rush.
- Hardy rushed 23 times for 173 yards.
- Senior quarterback Austin Davis connected on touchdown passes of 46-yards Ryan Balentine and 45-yards to Kelvin Bolden.
- Davis now has nine touchdowns on the year and 62 in his career.
- The touchdown was the second of Balentine's season and career.
- It was also Balentine's longest reception of his career.
- Balentine caught five catches for a career-high 82 yards.
- Bolden's touchdown was his third of the year and ninth of his career.
- Davis scored his first rushing touchdown of the season in the third quarter, and 22nd of his career.
- Davis was 21-of-33 for 284 yards and three touchdowns.
- His 284 yards give him 8,671 career passing yards, passing Louisville's Dave Ragone for 13th-place in Conference USA history.
- Bolden caught nine passes for 132 yards. It is his first 100-yard receiving game of the season and the third of his career.
- With three total touchdowns, Davis now has 84 total touchdowns, tying Tulane's Shaun King for eighth-place all-time in Conference USA.
- Junior Tracey Lampley's two-yard touchdown run was his first rushing touchdown of the season and third of his career.
- The Golden Eagles had two receivers with 100 yards or more in receiving yards, the last time was Oct. 30, 2010 when Kelvin Bolden caught 10 passes for 132 yards and Johdrick Morris caught nine passes for 135 yards against UAB.
- The 17 first half points allowed were the most this year.
- Redshirt sophomore Alex Smith recorded his first career pas breakup.
- Senior Cordarro Law recorded his fourth sack of the year.
- Law now has 22.5 sacks in his career, which ties him with Cincinnati's Andre Frazier and Tulane's Kenan Blackmon for 15th-place all-time in Conference USA.
- Law forced a fumble in the second quarter and Marquese Wheaton returned it 75 yards for a touchdown.
- The 75-yard fumble return set a Southern Miss M.M. Roberts Stadium record.
- Law's forced fumble was his second of the year and 12th of his career.
- Wheaton's fumble return was his first career fumble recovery.
- It was also the 11th non-offensive touchdown under head coach Larry Fedora.
- Senior Terrance Pope forced his first career fumble in the third quarter.
- Sophomore Jacorius Cotton recorded his first career fumble recovery.
- Redshirt senior Deddrick Jones recorded his second sack of the year and third of his career.
- Rice returned two fumbles for touchdowns. They were the first fumbles returned for touchdowns against Southern Miss since Troy returned one in the 2008 New Orleans Bowl.
Special Teams Notes
- Junior Tracy Lampley had two punt returns, giving him 54 for his career, moving him into 10th-place all-time in Conference USA history.
Rice Owls Notes
- The Southern Miss game marked the Rice Owls' first game outside the state of Louisiana and the first at M.M. Roberts Stadium since Oct. 3, 2007 - a 31-29 Rice victory.
- Rice University captains for the Southern Miss game were seniors Justin Allen (LB), Tyler Parish (OL), Michael Smith (DL) and Tyler Smith (OL). Southern Miss won the toss and elected to defer to the second half.
- Rice received to begin the game and defended the south goal.
- By the start of the second half, the temperature at M.M. Roberts Stadium was 64 degrees. Kickoff for the USM game was 69 degrees. In the previous three games, kickoff temperature averaged 96.7 degrees.
- Both senior receiver Brent Hotard and sophomore defensive end Dylan Klare made their first career starts in the Southern Miss game.
- Rice had a -3 yards of total offense through its first three offensive series (three, three-and-out series) before the Owls put together a seven-play, 80-yard scoring drive.
- Vance McDonald turned a screen pass into a 42-yard pick up late in the first quarter. McDonald's career-high of 49 yards came last year against Tulsa. Following a pass interference call on third-and-one, and a one-yard pick up by quarterback Taylor McHargue, McDonald caught a 2-yard touchdown pass in the corner of the end zone.
- McDonald finished the 2010 season with five touchdowns in the last three games. After being held without a score in the Owls' first two games of the season, McDonald now has three touchdown receptions in the past two games.
- For the fourth straight game this season, Rice did not allow an opponent to score on its opening drive. USM's Danny Hrapmann missed a 48-yard field goal attempt to cap the Golden Eagles' first series.
- Bryce Callahan recorded his first career interception, returning the ball 25 yards to the Southern Miss 4. It was the first interception by a Rice player this season. Rice would fumble on second-and-goal, marking the first time this season the Owls' failed to score when inside the Red Zone.
- Callahan went on two have two interceptions in the game. The last time a Rice player had two interceptions in the same game was Brandon King against SMU (Aug. 29, 2008).
- Xavier Webb returned a fumble 96 yards to give Rice a 24-20 lead with 10:50 to play in the third quarter. It was the longest opponent fumble return in Southern Miss history. The play was Webb's second career fumble recovery. The play was also the third fumble return for a touchdown in the game (two by Rice, one by Southern Miss).
- Webb's play ended a streak of 35-straight games without a defensive touchdown. The Owls' previous defensive score came on a Chris Douglas' interception return in the fourth quarter of the North Texas game in 2008.
- Webb had 13 tackles (7 solo stops), a new career high.
- Scott Solomon was credited with a fourth-quarter sack. He now has 18.5 for his career. He is now 1.5 sacks behind Ndukwe Kalu (1993-96) who had 20 during his career.
- On the final play of the first quarter, Michael Kutzler returned a fumble of USM's Francisco Llanos' kickoff return 19 yards for a touchdown. Zach Patt forced the fumble on Llanos' return. In a matter of seconds, the Owls went from trailing 13-0 to leading 14-13 at the end of the first quarter.
- The play marked Rice's first special teams' touchdown since Phillip Gaines recovered a muffed punt for a score last season against SMU. The play was the first returned of a fumbled kickoff by a Southern Miss opponent since the Golden Eagles played Troy in the 2008 New Orleans Bowl.
- Rice has recovered five fumbles in 2011, three having come on kickoffs.
- Chris Boswell booted a 41-yard field goal with 47 seconds to play in the first half, to pull the Owls' to within three, 20-17. The field goal was the 17th of Boswell's career. He currently ranks seventh on the Rice all-time list. Ranked ahead of Boswell in sixth on the Rice list is Alan Pringle (1973-74) who had 19 field goals during his career.
|Follow SouthernMissFootball:||Follow @SouthernMissFB|