Post Game Notes
Western Kentucky 42, Southern Miss 17
Sept. 22, 2012
- Team captains for today's game were #16 Alex Smith, #13 Reggie Hunt and #68 Joe Duhon.
- The three points scored by Southern Miss were the fewest scored in a half since Sept. 25, 2010 when the Golden Eagles traveled to Louisiana Tech and came away with a 13-12 victory.
- With the defeat, the Golden Eagles open the year 0-3 for the first time since 1976.
- The loss is also the second-straight time the Golden Eagles have been defeated by a member of the Sun Belt Conference. Middle Tennessee defeated Southern Miss 42-32 in the 2009 New Orleans Bowl.
- Today's attendance was 23,252.
- Chris Campbell started his second game of the season at quarterback for the Golden Eagles. Campbell also started against Nebraska in the season opener.
- Southern Miss was held off the scoreboard in the first quarter for the first time this season and first time since last season's Sheraton Hawai'i Bowl.
- Jeremy Hester's 35-yard run in the second quarter was the longest of his career and the longest rush for the Golden Eagles this season.
- Freshman Tyre Bracken's 12-yard rush in the second quarter was a career long.
- Redshirt freshman quarterback Ricky Lloyd appeared for his second action this season late in the third quarter. He finished the game 4-for-5 for 72 yards and 16 yards on the ground. He threw his first career touchdown pass to Bracken, a 13-yard strike in the 3rd quarter.
- Quarterback Anthony Alford got his second career rushing touchdown on a 1-yard run in the 4th quarter.
- Senior defensive end Jamie Collins added 2.0 more tackles for loss to his career total. He now has 32 for his career. He also had seven tackles and a solo sack on the day.
- WKU's Antonio Andrews became the first runner to put up more than 100-yards against the Golden Eagles this season. He finished the day with 136 yards.
- Khyri Thornton intercepted James Mauro's pass in the 4th quarter. It was the first of his career and first turnover created by the Golden Eagle defense this season.
Special Teams Notes
- Peter Boehme booted a 54-yard punt in the first quarter, his third 50+ yard punt of the season.
- Corey Acosta missed a 38-yard attempt in the second quarter - it was the first miss of his career. He later added a 47-yarder in the second quarter - it was a career-high.
- Tracy Lampley returned his first punt of the season, a 19-yard trot in the second quarter. With those yards, he moved into 4th place on the school's all-time all-purpose yardage chart and ended the day with 4,037 total yards.
Friday Football Luncheon Returns to Mugshots this Week
Keon Howard Comes Up Big in First Victory as Golden Eagle Starting Quarterback
Several promotions, ticket specials on hand for Saturday's Homecoming
Ito Smith Named C-USA Offensive Player of the Week
Coach Hopson Media Conference (OCt. 9)
Golden Eagle Hotline Returns Tonight at Georgia Blue
Football Holds Off UTSA for a 31-29 C-USA Road Victory
Fans Can Watch Football Game Online versus UTSA at Stadium on Facebook
Football Takes to the Road to Face UTSA