Sept. 15, 2012
- Tonightcs captains were wide receiver Tracy Lampley, running back Desmond Johnson, defensive back Jerrion Johnson and offensive lineman Austin Quattrochi.
- Southern Miss won the toss and deferred.
- Today's attendance was 34,140. It is the fifth largest home attendance and the most for a Conference USA game.
- Southern Miss is now 27-11 all-time against East Carolina and 11-8 at home. ECU has won the last two in Hattiesburg.
- The loss snaps a 13-game winning streak in home openers, and the Golden Eagles fall to 77-14-2 all-time.
- Southern Miss is now 13-4 in conference openers and 7-2 when they open league play at home.
- The Golden Eagles have lost their last two conference openers.
- USM is 0-2 for the first time since 1998.
- Southern Miss' seven first half points are its least since scoring seven against Louisiana Tech in the 2011 opener.
- Freshman Anthony Alford made his first career start at quarterback. He is just the fourth true freshman to start at quarterback for the Golden Eagles and the first since Damion Carter against Cincinnati on October 4, 2003.
- Alford is also the first true freshman quarterback to make his first career start at home.
- Alford's 23-yard rush in the first quarter was the longest of his career.
- Alford's one-yard rushing touchdown in the first quarter was the first of his career. It also gave Southern Miss its first lead of the season.
- Alford's 31-yard pass to Markese Triplett in the third quarter was the longest of the season.
- Chris Campbell was 11-of-21 for 145 yards and a touchdown after coming in in the third quarter.
- Campbell's three-yard touchdown pass to Triplett was in the fourth quarter was his second of the season.
- It was also Triplett's first career touchdown reception.
- Triplett caught four passes for a career-high 66 yards.
- The Golden Eagles held East Carolina scoreless in the first quarter. It is the third straight conference opponent that they have held scoreless in the first quarter.
- ECU's three first half points are the fewest allowed by a Southern Miss defense since holding Memphis scoreless last year.
- Senior defensive back Martez Thompson had a career-high seven tackles.
- Junior linebacker Alan Howze recorded his first career sack in the first quarter.
- Freshman defensive lineman Michael Smith recorded his first career sack in the second quarter.
- Southern Miss has failed to force a turnover in two straight games for the first time since 2002.
Special Teams Notes
- Peter Boehme's 59-yard first quarter punt was the longest of year.
|Follow SouthernMissFootball:||Follow @SouthernMissFB|