Game Notes from the East Carolina Game
Sept. 15, 2007
HATTIESBURG, Miss. -
Southern Miss at East Carolina
Sept. 15, 2007
Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium/Greenville, N.C.
(Attendance - 43,041)
* The Golden Eagles opened their 12th season of Conference USA football, winning its ninth straight to open league play. It was the fifth-straight year Southern Miss has opened C-USA play on the road, and they are now 11-1 in league openers.
* Jeff Bower, who has now coached 193 games at his alma mater, has compiled a 114-78-1 overall record and is 59-19 in Conference USA games. Bower is now 12-5 against East Carolina in his career.
* Southern Miss improved to 15-2 in games played in Greenville as the series now stands at 25-8. The Golden Eagles have won six-straight at Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium.
* Eddie Hicks collected his second interception of the season and third of his career in the second quarter with a 10-yard return. It was his second all-time against ECU, having tallied a school-record 87-yard return for a touchdown last year against the Pirates in Hattiesburg.
* Jeremy Young threw a touchdown pass for the third-straight game and for the fifth time in the last six contests with a 28-yard TD strike to Shawn Nelson in the second quarter. It was Nelson's first touchdown reception of the season and ninth of his career. Young collected his third touchdown pass of the season and 15th of his career. He finished the contest with 237 yards.
* Young, who had not had a 200-yard passing game heading into 2007, now has two straight after throwing for a career-best 254 last week at Tennessee. Young now has started 17-consecutive games for the Golden Eagles. The senior from Jackson, Miss., tallied his second and third rushing touchdowns of the season and seventh and eighth of his career with two one-yard scoring rushes in the fourth quarter.
* Damion Fletcher tallied his second rushing score of the season with a 2-yard run with 7:23 left in the second quarter. It was Fletcher's 13th career rushing TD. When Fletcher records a rushing touchdown, the Golden Eagles are 8-0 in those games.
* The 48-yard reception by Fletcher at the end of the third quarter was his longest offensive play of his career.
*Fletcher notched his ninth career 100-yard rushing game, recording a 111-yard performance.