Football Notes from the Tennessee Game
The Vols own a 5-0 record over the Golden Eagles.
Sept. 8, 2007
HATTIESBURG, Miss. - Southern Miss at Tennessee Neyland Stadium, Knoxville, Tenn. (Attendance - 106,311)
* The game ranks as the third-highest attended game ever for Southern Miss. It also marked the fourth time the Golden Eagles have played in front of at least 100,000. The top three attendance figures for the Golden Eagles have all come at Neyland Stadium - 108,064 (9/2/00) and 107,073 (11/8/97) and tonight's figure.
* The Golden Eagles are now 0-5 against Tennessee, having played all five games in the series in Knoxville.
* Southern Miss has now played at least one team from the Southeastern Conference since 1964.
* Jeff Bower has coached his 192nd overall game and 107th contest on the road as the Southern Miss head coach. He is now 113-78-1 overall and 46-60-1 on the road.
* Freshman Justin Estes converted his first collegiate field goal from 30 yards at the 12:17. Estes missed his initial attempt last weekend against Tennessee-Martin from 42 yards.
* Jeremy Young hit Chris Johnson for a 69-yard touchdown pass at the 9:11 mark in the opening quarter marked the longest completion of Young's career and longest catch. It also was the longest reception for Johnson as the duo combined for a 54-yard hookup for a touchdown last season at UCF (9/26/06), which was the two's previous best.
* Young threw for a career-best 254 yards, overcoming his previous best of 193 against Memphis last season. Johnson had eight catches and receiving yards of 127, also establishing a best for his career in both categories. His previous receiving high was a 113-yard performance against UCF in 2005.
* Sophomore Damion Fletcher collected his career-best reception of 22 yards in the opening quarter.
* Britt Barefoot converted his first collegiate field goal attempt, from 51 yards, in the first quarter. The kick is believed to be the longest field goal for Southern Miss since Chris Pierce converted a 52-yarder against LSU on Nov. 12, 1994.
* Southern Miss tied a school record for most field goals in a game with four, tying the mark set three other times - against Georgia (1984), Memphis (1989) and Tulane (2005).