Aug 31, 2013
- Tonight's captains were linebacker Alex Smith, fullback Bruce Johnson, linebacker Alan Howze and defensive lineman Khyri Thornton.
- Texas State won the toss and deferred.
- Today's attendance was 25,729.
- This was the first-ever meeting between Southern Miss and Texas State.
- Southern Miss is now 63-33 in season-opening games, including 41-6 when opening the season in Hattiesburg.
- Southern Miss is now 5-3 all-time in the month of August.
- The Golden Eagles are now 58-17-1 against the current members of the Sun Belt Conference.
- Six Golden Eagles made their first career starts, including wide receivers Tyre'oune Holmes and Rickey Bradley, quarterback Allan Bridgford, defensive lineman Jerry McCorvey, offensive linemen Fredrick Moore and Rashod Hill.
- Quarterback Allan Bridgford connected on 28-of-53 for 377 yards. The 377 yards are the fifth most in school history.
- Bridgford connected with James Cox on a six-yard touchdown in the third quarter. It was his first career touchdown pass.
- It was also Cox' first career reception, as well as his first career touchdown. It was his only reception of the game.
- Wide receiver Rickey Bradley caught seven passes for 193 yards. It was his first career 100-yard receiving game.
- Bradley's 193 receiving yards are the fourth most in school history.
- Wide receiver Tyre'oune Holmes caught 12 passes for 96 yards. His 12 receptions tied the second most in school history.
- The three first half points are the fewest scored since being held scoreless against Boise State last year.
- Defensive back Ed Wilkins forced his second career fumble in the first quarter.
- Defensive lineman Dasman McCullum recovered his first career fumble in the first quarter.
- Southern Miss' safety in the third quarter is the first safety since recording one against UAB last year.
- Linebacker Alan Howze recorded 2.5 tackles for loss, giving him 7.5 for his career.
- Linebacker Dylan Reda had two tackles for loss, giving him 4.5 for his career.
Special Teams Notes
- Corey Acosta connected on field goals from 41 and 36 yards.
|Follow SouthernMissFootball:||Follow @SouthernMissFB|