Men's Basketball takes four-game win streak to No. 24 Florida State on Thursday
HATTIESBURG, Miss. -- Another big battle awaits the Southern Miss men's basketball team as its non-conference schedule comes to a close, with the Golden Eagles traveling to Tallahassee to take on No. 24 Florida State at 1 p.m. CT on Thursday.
The game will air on ACC Network Extra, which can be picked up via WatchESPN.com and the WatchESPN app. Fans may be asked to provide their cable provider login information before viewing. The action can also be found on the Southern Miss IMG Sports Network (Rock 104.5 in Hattiesburg/Laurel) and USM Gameday app with the Voice of the Golden Eagles, John Cox.
– Southern Miss’ four-game winning streak is its longest of the Doc Sadler era, and the squad is already two wins away from matching its most in four years since inheriting NCAA sanctions. The Golden Eagles have faced three defending conference champs this season, and among that mark is a halftime lead at defending Big Ten champ Michigan and an 18-point win over Sun Belt champ Troy.
– Southern Miss ranks No. 3 in the nation for fewest turnovers per game and assist-turnover ratio, as well as fifth for turnover margin. It has won the turnover battle in every game this season, and the four errors at Alabama A&M were its fewest since having two against FAU in the 2016-17 home finale.
– The Golden Eagles shot just 62.7 percent from the free-throw line for the first seven games, but have since gone 50-for-63 at the charity stripe (79.3 percent) over the last four.
– Southern Miss is coming off a 75-58 win over William Carey, its neighbor from four miles away. The Black and Gold led 28-26 at the half before exploding with 47 points on 54.5 percent shooting. Not only that, but 12 of the team’s 15 assists came in that final period. Cortez Edwards (28 points, 12 rebounds) finished just short of the program’s first 30-10 game since Gary Flowers in Feb. 2011, and Dominic Magee’s 19 points and 11 boards gave Southern Miss its first double-double pair since Dec. 2011 (Jonathan Mills and Darnell Dodson).
– This is the Golden Eagles’ first game against a current top-25 team since Nov. 29, 2013 at No. 9 Louisville. Their last win over a ranked foe was Nov. 18, 2000 at Arkansas, en route to a C-USA regular season title.
– Dominic Magee has flipped a switch over his last three games, averaging 32.7 minutes, 17.7 points and 8.3 rebounds per game. Prior to that stretch, he had never played 30 minutes in his 30 career games. Magee averaged 2.1 boards for Grand Canyon in his only prior season of college basketball, and is now leading his team in that category.
– Kevin Holland ranks sixth in C-USA with a 48.9 percent mark (23-for-47). However, nobody ahead of him has more than 16 makes. He began the year 1-for-5 and then made 10 of his next 13 attempts. Only 18 of his shot attempts for the season have been inside the arc. Holland also began the previous year with an 11-for-18 long-range clip.
– Last year’s meeting between the schools was the first since FSU left the Metro Conference after the 1990-91 season. Current assistant coach Clarence Weatherspoon was a junior that season and en route to becoming arguably the greatest player in program history. Southern Miss won the Metro that year as well.