Men's Basketball continues road swing Saturday at FAU
MIAMI, Fla. -- Southern Miss is set for a short drive to Boca Raton where it will battle Florida Atlantic on Saturday night at 6 p.m. CT.
Live streaming of the game can be found on CUSA.tv, while John Cox will have the radio call on the Southern Miss IMG Sports Network (Rock 104.5 in Hattiesburg/Laurel) and the USM Gameday app.
– The Golden Eagles fell 76-70 at FIU on Thursday. The Panthers led 31-28 at the half, opened the lead to 43-30, and then saw the Golden Eagles respond with a 13-2 run to pull within 45-43 at the 12-minute mark. The Panthers made nine of 10 free-throw attempts over the final 1:37 to claim the victory.
– Tyree Griffin recorded his fourth-career double-double with 17 points and 11 assists. It was the fourth time he’s reached double-figures in the dime category. He also had 12 against Rust on Dec. 3 and accomplished the feat against Kansas and Kansas State while a sophomore at Oklahoma State in 2015-16.
– Griffin now has 133 assists, already the most of any player in a single season of the Sadler era. He is currently No. 6 against C-USA foes for scoring (18.6 ppg), fourth in assists (5.8 apg), fourth in steals (2.1 spg) and seventh in assist-turnover ratio (2.1).
– FAU spoiled Southern Miss’ Senior Day last Feb. 18, shooting 61 percent (including 8-for-9 on three-pointers in the second half) to come away with a 94-82 victory. It marked the most points allowed by the Golden Eagles in a home loss since Louisville in 2005. Southern Miss has since won its last nine home games, tying for the eighth-longest streak in school history.
– When the Owls and Golden Eagles last squared off in Boca Raton (Jan. 16, 2016), Tim Rowe scored a career- and game-high 20 points in a 58-51 loss. Southern Miss held a 30-21 halftime lead on the heels of a victory two days before at FIU.
– Cortez Edwards had 26 points and 11 rebounds in the 2017 game against the Owls, his second-straight double-double (16 points, 10 rebounds two days prior versus FIU). The Kissimmee, Fla., native continued the trend in Thursday’s defeat at FIU, posting 17 points and six rebounds. No. 12 nationally with 49 swipes and has scored in double-figures in all but two games this season. His 15.7 ppg is second on the squad. As a team, Southern Miss has a 170-73 advantage in steals. It’s the first time it’s been in the positives in the Sadler era (145-184 last season). The Golden Eagles need 48 more to crack the top-10 list in school history.
– The Golden Eagles need three more league wins to continue the trend of Doc Sadler improving the team’s C-USA win total in each season he has been at the helm.
– Southern Miss has moved to third and sixth nationally for fewest turnovers per game (9.5) and assist-turnover ratio (1.61). Florida State and FIU have been the only teams so far to edge the Black and Gold in the turnover battle. Southern Miss’ 23 assists versus Rice were its most against a Division I team since Nov. 27, 2004 versus McNeese State (26). It also had 32 versus Rust on Dec. 3, 2017. The Golden Eagles lead C-USA in assist-turnover ratio (1.7).
– FAU fell victim to a late 14-1 run by LA Tech in a 67-62 defeat on Thursday night. Last Saturday, the Owls got a long buzzer-beating three-pointer from Justin Massey to defeat Rice. FAU is 5-5, including 1-4 in league play (defeated Charlotte 75-64), and has the league’s second-best scoring defense against C-USA foes (65.4 ppg). It is also scoring 61.9 ppg in those games.