March 10, 2012
Box Score |
- Marshall advances to face either Memphis or UCF in Saturday's championship game (10:30 a.m. CT on CBS). Marshall lost twice to Memphis in the regular season and split a pair of games with UCF.
- Marshall be attempting to become the fifth Conference USA team to win four games in four days to capture the C-USA tournament title. Houston did it in 2010, Saint Louis in 2000, Charlotte in 1999 and Marquette in 1997.
Southern Miss Notes
- Southern Miss had just three turnovers in the game, a season-low. Its previous low was five on Mar. 3 at Marshall.
- The 10 steals was the highest total ever in a Conference USA Tournament game.
- Southern Miss pulled down 18 offensive rebounds, tied for the fourth-most in a game this season.
- Senior guard Angelo Johnson led the Golden Eagles in scoring with 24 points, his second-highest total this season (29 vs. Murray State on Nov. 26, 2011). It was the fifth time that he led Southern Miss in scoring this season.
- Marshall has advanced to the championship game of the Conference USA Tournament for the first time. It is the Herd's first conference tournament championship game since 1997 when it lost to UT-Chattanooga 71-70 in the Southern Conference Tournament. Marshall's last victory in a conference tournament championship game was in the 1987 Southern Conference Tourney.
- Marshall closed the game on a 26-10 run over the final 9:55.
- As a team, Marshall has hit 88-of 178 field goals (.494) in the C-USA Tournament. The Herd shot 43.2 percent from the field during the regular season.
- Dennis Tinnon set a new C-USA Tournament record for total rebounds with 40. He grabbed 13 boards today after having 12 vs. Tulsa in the quarterfinals and 15 vs. SMU in the opening round game. Tinnon posted his third straight double-double and has 11 on the season.
- In this year's C-USA Tournament, DeAndre Kane is averaging 24.0 points per game and shooting .467 (28-of-60) from the field. He has played 128 of Marshall's 135 total minutes in the tournament. In five career Conference USA tournament games, Kane has scored 104 points (20.8 average) on 38-of-88 shooting. He's also grabbed 30 rebounds (6.0 per game) and played 197 minutes -- an average of 39.4 per game.
- Senior forward Dago Pena has his fifth game of three 3-pointers or more this season. The Herd is now 4-1 when he gets at least a trio of trifectas.
- Marshall is holding opponents to .377 shooting from the field in this tournament. During the regular season, the Herd's opponents were averaging .451.