Conference USA Baseball 2012 Accomplishments
July 12, 2012
- Conference USA was the No. 5 ranked baseball conference in 2012, trailing only the SEC, ACC, Pac-12 and Big 12.
- C-USA placed four teams in the 2012 NCAA Championship, the ninth time in 11 years that the league has produced at least four bids.
- Rice made its 18th consecutive NCAA Regional appearance, the fourth-longest active streak in the nation. East Carolina played in an NCAA Regional for the 12th time in 14 years, UCF made its 11th all-time NCAA appearance and UAB made its second NCAA trip.
- Rice and UCF spent the entire season nationally ranked and both finished in the top 25. East Carolina was ranked during the regular season and Tulane received votes.
- Three schools (East Carolina, Rice and UCF) finished the season ranked in the top 35 of the final RPI rankings. Six of the league's nine schools ranked in the top 83.
- Seven of the nine Conference USA teams won at least one game against a nationally ranked, non-conference opponent.
- C-USA teams posted a total of 12 wins over nationally ranked, non-conference opponents during the regular season, including five against top 10 foes.
- C-USA teams defeated three College World Series teams (National Champion Arizona, Arkansas and Stony Brook).
- Among the NCAA top 50 RPI teams that C-USA defeated in 2012 were: No. 4 Arizona (Rice), No. 10 Arkansas (Houston), No. 13 Stanford (Rice), No. 14 NC State (East Carolina), No. 16 Texas A&M (Rice), No. 17 Miami of Florida (UCF), No. 21 Mississippi State (Memphis), No. 23 Dallas Baptist (Rice), No. 28 Mississippi (Memphis, Southern Miss), No. 29 Clemson (UAB), No. 36 Missouri State (UCF), No. 39 New Mexico State (Rice), No. 42 Louisville (East Carolina), No. 43 UNC Wilmington (East Carolina), No. 45 Wichita State (Tulane) and No. 49 Sam Houston State (Rice).
- Five different Conference USA players were honored as All-Americans, including Memphis senior 3B Jacob Wilson, Rice senior RHP Matthew Reckling, Rice junior utility player J.T. Chargois, UCF junior 1B D.J. Hicks and UCF junior LHP Joe Rogers.
- Three C-USA players earned Freshman All-American honors, including Southern Miss utility player Mason Robbins, Southern Miss RHP Bradley Roney and UCF LHP Eric Skoglund.
- Conference USA had four players that earned National Player of the Week honors: Memphis LHP Sam Moll, Rice junior RHP Tyler Duffey, senior RHP Matthew Reckling and UAB junior RHP Ben Bullard.
- Five C-USA players were named to the 2012 Capital One Academic All-District teams, while Tulane C Jeremy Schaffer and Tulane OF Brandon Boudreaux were both named Academic All-Americans, marking the 12th time in 15 years that C-USA has produced at least one baseball Academic All-American.
- Four Conference USA schools (Rice, Southern Miss, Tulane, East Carolina) ranked among the top 25 nationally in average home attendance. All four averaged at least 2,685 fans per game.
- Five players and six teams ranked among the top 10 national leaders in the final 2012 NCAA statistics. Rice pitchers led the nation in most strikeouts per nine innings and fewest hits allowed per nine innings.
- Conference USA had 30 players chosen in the June Major League Baseball Draft. Eight of the nine C-USA schools had at least one player selected.
- The league had a record 27 games televised nationally or regionally.
- Rice head coach Wayne Graham and C-USA Coordinator of Umpires Rich Fetchiet were both inducted into the College Baseball Hall of Fame.
- Fourteen players from C-USA schools appeared on the 2012 opening day rosters of Major League Baseball teams and two were named to the MLB All-Star game in July.
The Conference USA Baseball Schools
The nine schools that currently comprise Conference USA Baseball have enjoyed a great deal of success. Here are some of their accomplishments:
- 12 College World Series Appearances
- 2003 National Champions - Rice
- At least one College World Series team in five of the last eight seasons and nine out of 14
- 112 NCAA Appearances (73 since 1995)
- Six National Players of the Year since 1995
- Seven National Freshmen of the Year since 1995
- 130 All-Americans since 1995
- Schools have combined to win 40 or more games 59 times in the last 15 years
- Has had a team ranked No. 1 in the nation in four of the last nine regular seasons
From the Broadcast Booth with John Cox – Hill Denson
Baseball Hosts Middle Tennessee In Sixth C-USA Series
Season-High Hit Total Lifts Baseball to 12-4 Victory at SLU
Southern Miss Baseball Travels to SLU for Final Non-Conference Road Contest
Southern Miss Baseball Wins Series at FIU with 13-1 Sunday Victory
One Big Scoring Inning Dooms Golden Eagles Saturday at FIU
Stevie Powers Blanks FIU Friday Night 5-0 in Miami
Southern Miss has 44 student-athletes receive C-USA Commissioner's Academic Medals
Baseball Heads to the Sunshine State for Second Road Conference Series