Seymour to Participate in Universal Cheer Association Mascot National Championships
Seymour was chosen for the championships based upon points earned from a video submission, community service projects, as well as overall school spirit and enthusiasm. He goes in ranked No. 10 in the country; the top ten squads in the rankings all earn an invitation to the championships. At the competition, the mascots will be judged on crowd appeal, creativity, animation, and prop usage. Seymour will perform an original skit and routine designed specifically for the competition.
"Our team of students worked very hard to make this happen for Seymour," said Jason Gray, Southern Miss Senior Associate Athletic Director. "This was a goal they set out to achieve from the very beginning of the year. They put a lot of work into it and raised most of the funds to make this possible. I believe in Seymour we have one of the best college mascots in all the country."
The participants will also be able to enjoy some time in the various Disney theme parks.
The UCA national rankings going into the championships look like this:
1. Auburn University - "Aubie"
2. University of Oklahoma - "Boomer"
3. Louisiana State University - "Mike"
4. University of Colorado - "Chip"
5. University of Tennessee - "Smokey"
6. University of Alabama - "Big Al"
7. University of Iowa - "Herky the Hawk"
8. University of Minnesota - "Goldy Gopher"
9. Michigan State University - "Sparty"
10. University of Southern Mississippi - "Seymour"